• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/32 Sopwith Camel 1 Oct 22 - 24 Dec 22

Started by lastvautour, October 29, 2022, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The RCAF flew Sopwith Camels until 1928. My Camel will be 1/32 scale. Construction has started with the fuselage. I originally attached the forward fuselage fairings. I found this would be problematic in doing the cockpit. hence a new fuselage was cut. The cockpit arae is cut from the main fuselage and the fairings and upper forward area was glued to form a subassembly. Once glued, it creates a solid structure ready for detailing. Inner ribbing is bamboo doweling taken from a dollar store placemat. The seat is a two-piece affair with paper and copper wire seatbelt.

Lou

Boomerang

Looks great so far Lou.

looking forward to progress shots.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. The Ventura has priority, and I also have a Sunderland on the go so it may be a while before I get back to it.

Lou

lastvautour

Printed the instrument panel on heavy bond paper.  The wings are rough cut and the tail feathers have been thinned down and cut to shape.

Lou

lastvautour

I am using hand brushed colours. Wing rib pattern are done, and a primer coat has been applied.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings upper surfaces painted.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking good Lou.

Took me a while to get to this stage with the Triplane.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I am slowly putting it together.

Lou

lastvautour

Some more fiddling.

Lou

lastvautour

Paint schemed changed several times before deciding on a Camel flown by Canadian pilot William Barker with 22 victories. Canada had no air force in WWI and its pilots flew with the Royal Flying Corp. Fuselage stripes are being applied.

Lou

Gearup

I've been following the progress of your nice looking Sopwith. The open cockpit details are excellent! The engine is well done and shows how much metal was spinning around on the rotary style engines. Looking forward to further pictures.
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

Major assemblies glued and rigging has begun. I wish I could get elastic thread. instead I am using grey nylon thread. No photos worth doing at this stage. Hopefully, it will be a 2022 build.

Lou

lastvautour

Disaster occurred this morning. I should have run the struts through the wings in the first place. This should not overly delay the project.

Lou

Boomerang

I hope it is easily overcome.

Cheers

Gordon