• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Boeing CH-147 Chinook 12 Sep 2022 - 10 Nov 2022

Started by lastvautour, September 12, 2022, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Fuselage is rough cut. Progress may be quite slow on this one.

Lou

Gearup

lastvautour

The Hip is a close second if not the biggest. I have yet to place the fuselage next to the Hip for comparison.

Lou

lastvautour

The Chinook received some well await progress in the last few days. The fuselage and sponsons are glued together, and the rotor towers are rough sanded. Work on the rotor was also started today with the blades being cut, thinned and shaped. They are made to rotate counterclockwise for the front and clockwise for the rear. I made a quickie jig for thinning the blades by laying 5 thickness of electrical tape with a channel to accept the blade blank. I shave the materiel until the chisel contacted the tape. This gave me a.5mm thickness.

Lou

Gearup

I like the idea of the electrical tape as it is slicker than masking tape and probably tougher too. What are you using for the wood in the blades?
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

Model is complete except for the upper fuselage driveshaft tunnel cover. Undercarriage is complete and is quite simple. The forward legs are a one-piece dowel notched to simulate two wheels. The rear pylon holds a stub wing and the three-part engines which are also shaped from dowels.

Paint and decals have been ordered and anticipated to be here before month's end.

Lou

Gearup

Great idea on making the dual wheels!  I'll keep that for a technique in the future.
Fraser

lastvautour

I have some rat tail files that are 1cm thick and they work great at doing this.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 10 Nov 22. Eight CH-47C were acquired in 1974. Although highly versatile the remaining aircraft were deemed too expensive to operate and retired by 1991. We have since taken delivery of 15 CH-147F starting in 2014. My example is a CH-147C circa 1990.

Lou

Not: I have added a comparative shot of the Chinook next to a Hip