• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King Started 12 Sep 22 Completed 7 Oct 22

Started by lastvautour, September 12, 2022, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Another on the bench in the form of a 1/144 Sea King. Fuselage is rough cut.

Lou

Gearup

Another interesting help model on the way. Looking forward to the model.
Fraser

lastvautour

I have done some carving but, like my other attempt, I have trouble getting those shapes to work for me.

Lou

lastvautour

Rotor blades are cut and most carving is done on the fuselage. The sponsons are attached to the stub pylons as well.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. It has also been idle for a few days as I concentrate on my North Star.

Lou

lastvautour

Main and tail rotors are glued, and the fuselage has base coat of dark sea grey.

Lou

lastvautour

undercarriage was attached, however, the application of masking tape for the windscreen area resulted in breaking of the tail wheel and the workshop monster ate it. This will make the fourth tail wheel to be manufactured. Also pictured, is my first attempt at a rescue hoist.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking great Lou.

The workshop monster. The carpet monster. Sometimes starts with an almost soundless "ping"

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. The tail wheel was so small and light, it made no sound when it hit the floor. Decals have been printed. My commercial source of Canadian decals is still out of commission.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out on 7 October 2022. Decals were relatively easy with black being the only colour used. This makes my 11th RCAF helicopter. I have not decided if I will assign it a project number.

Lou

Gearup

Love the small scale heli's Lou. They look like the hummingbirds that they try to replicate in real life....I like how you put enough detail to give a sense of the aircraft in that scale. The tail wheel must be tiny! A great addition to the collection.

BTW during my career as a mechanic, if I dropped something I had to find it since it could be a bigger problem later. I would  always freeze and listen for the trail of sounds it would make as it bounced down through the various parts of the aircraft. You learned to know what the path should sound like hopefully with the final click onto concrete. That was always a relief or at least you could narrow down the area to look. I really hated working on grass. If it landed there, even if I saw it hit the grass, any attempt to retrieve a small nut always seemed to drive it deeper, until it hit bedrock.

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. The worst bit of FOD was the back of an earring a lady tech drop into an engine. It was on end for a bearing change when the offending part fell in. They could not find it under the engine, so they had to do a complete engine strip down which takes a week for a J57-P-55. We never found the backing, and she was not very popular in the engine bay for quite a while. I immediately instituted a no jewelry policy for anyone working on engines.

Lou

Gearup

I think dropping something into an engine in that position would be about the worst. So many places to get caught inside!
Fraser