• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Handley Page Halifax started 18 Jul 22 Completed 10 Oct 22

Started by lastvautour, July 19, 2022, 12:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Black DecoArt acrylic paint has been applied to the lower fuselage. Upper surfaces will be dark green and dark earth. Once done. several light coats of gloss will seal the paint and make it easier for decals to adhere.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking good Lou. Love your work on the decals.

I need to get more competent making up mine.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thsnk you Gordon. what you don't see are those decals I messed up.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Lou, I'm guessing you were printing decals on white because the clear ones aren't dense enough on a dark surface? Printing a matching background on the decal is a good way around that.

lastvautour

I have also done the same for the Lancaster. It still needs touch ups around the edges to hide the white film. The model is currently in the paint booth getting a clear coat.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out of my Handley Page Halifax heavy bomber occurred 10 Oct 2022. The Halifax is a relatively large model in comparison to my usual 1/72 subjects. Construction took 14 weeks. Fuselage decals required redoing due to clumsy fingers when applying. I also found that with black background, printing in best quality gives better results. The most important thing is that it was fun and very satisfying.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. AS I said earlier, it was very enjoyable. I forgot to mention the codes represent RCAF 433 Sqn.

Lou

Gearup

The Halifax looks really nice at that scale. I like how you detailed the inlet cowl exhaust collector system. I saw a restored Halifax in the Canadian Airforce Museum, and it was interesting to see how that was incorporated into the design. I wonder if the cooling effect on the exhaust and the long tailpipe reduced the exhaust flame for night bombing?

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. It fit right in with my other two WWII heavy bombers.

Lou

Gearup

Nice collection. It just occurred to me how many bombers had twin tails. Seeing them together shows this to be a very common configuration.
Fraser

lastvautour

Fear of losing rudder effectiveness if an engine was knocked out was probably one reason. The other is that an aircraft does not need to be that high so it would fit in existing hangars.

Lou