• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Handley Page Halifax started 18 Jul 22 Completed 10 Oct 22

Started by lastvautour, July 19, 2022, 12:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A new project has begun with a HP Halifax bomber. Drawings were printed some time ago, however other priorities delayed its start. Wood has been selected and fuselage & wing are block shaped.

Lou

lastvautour

I found a few minutes to do some carving on my Halifax Mk III.

Lou

lastvautour

I sanded the tail group this morning.

Lou

lastvautour

Wing is shaped and mated to the fuselage. Next placement of the engines. Note the size difference between the Argus and the Halifax. During WWII, he Halifax was a heavy bomber. Now is would be a medium at best

Lou

Gearup

Quite the difference in size from only a fews years in development.
Fraser

lastvautour

Engine development during and immediately after WWII made these bigger aircraft possible. Even passenger airliners outpaced the biggest WWII bombers as well.

Lou

lastvautour

Engines are attached and glue is curing before further handling. 5/8 dowels were the perfect diameter for the Halifax.

Lou

Boomerang

Good progress. Looking forward to the finished model.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I fiddle with it every now and again.

Lou

lastvautour

Everything is sanded and await primer coat. Wing assembly is first in the paint booth. Vertical fins are glued to the horizontal stab.

Lou

Gearup

Nice work Lou. Looking at the model, it is apparent that the lack of flowing curves probably made the prototype aircraft easier to mass produce.

Fraser

lastvautour

I agree that flat sides do make it easier to manufacture and probably tale less time to assemble. The Halifax had a 13000lb bomb load, vs the 8000lb B-17 load and was just 5 mph slower. The Halifax loss rate was 4.2 and the B-17 5%. The B-17 is well known, however the Halifax was sadly neglected.

Lou

Boomerang

Great looking model so far Lou. Looking forward to the when she's finished.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. It has been idle for the last week, however I plan on getting on with it next month and hopefully have it done before Christmas.

Lou

lastvautour

Final primer coat has been applied and it looks good. Decals for RCAF 433 Sqn have been printed on white film with fuselage code and roundels set with black background. Top of wing decals will require close cutting. The all-black bottom has no markings at all.

Lou