• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/24 Boeing Vertol CH-113 Labrador Started Aug 1988 -

Started by lastvautour, July 02, 2022, 09:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Summer 1988 saw my being posted to 103 Rescue Unit, Gander Newfoundland where the CH-113 Labrador was in use. We had 3 CH-113s and approximately 80 members. My posting was a short two years and that explains why I did not complete my Lab at the time. Having done a 1/144 version inspired me to bring the Lab back to the bench for completion as an RCAF 100th project.

All that really remains to be done are the rotors and the undercarriage. I have been experimenting with the rotor construction(last photo).

Lou

lastvautour

Rotor blades cut and test fitted to makeshift hub. I am going to need a bigger shelf!!

Lou

lastvautour

Indeed it is. I will post comparison shots with the 1/144 version on completion. Currently, the undercarriage legs are being fashioned. The rotor blade/shanks are complete and just need some TLC with the sanding block. I am applying pressure and water treatment to induce the bend in the blades as in 1/24 straight blade would not look right. You can get away with a lot more deviations in 1/144.

Lou

Gearup

You may be tempting me to build a helicopter model  :)
Fraser

lastvautour

I found rotors look better in smaller scales as I am unable to get any decent results with larger ones.

Lou

lastvautour

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. The blades are shaved down mahogany baseboards. I held them down at the end and placed a bowel under the center. I then applied water on the top side and hope the bend materializes.

Lou