12 (75%)
Gera's Balbo's SM-55X
3 (18.8%)
Marcos' Avro HS 748
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 08, 2009, 05:36:57 PM

R.F.Bennett

Nominate the Model of the year here. The wings and fuselage must be wood. In the case of a car, the body must be primarily wood. In the case of a boat, the hull must be from solid wood. These all may be carved or hollowed out. Restorations are also eligible. The plan does not have to be from our site. It can be from a kit or scratch built. The winning model will get it's own page and link on the SMM home page as Model of the year 2008. Including a blurb about the builder and his comments.

You have Until December 31 at 12:00pm PST to make your nomination. You can second a nomination but you can only nominate one Model. Voting will begin as soon as the pole is posted and will last for 30 days.

As Manager and founder, I am NOT eligible and will not be voting. Good Luck  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Only 21 days left for nominations guys. Come on now, there are lot's of you out there that never say a word and we don't mind a bit. That's the way we're set up, but please at least give your favorite model from the last year a heads up! You know it takes a lot of work to document a build and write it up. Please show your appreciation or your favorite modelers might just stop doing it and that would be sad.  :-\
We don't demand members contribute in any way, But everyone likes to know their work is appreciated.
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

First
I nominate Rafa's Convair Charger. As a first time build of a solid, his model came out as well as many of my current projects.

Second
I nominate Garet's I-16. His I-16 is indicative of a growing attention to details even in an ID model. The Model compares very favourably with many professional builds seen on line. It is a project I would be proud to display with my collection.(hint hint)

cliff strachan

Well I guess we can nominate at least two. I, for one, am having a hard time choosing between the very many fine models that have been posted. And also is the model nominated to come from only those completed in 2008 or from our very vast selection of photos posted over the past years?

Cliff.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

cliff strachan

For Model of the Year I'm nominating:

1 - Jeffh's Martin M130 China Clipper:

2 - Lou's Eurocopter:

3 - Gera's Balbo's SM-55X:

4 - Marcos' Avro HS 748:

There's so many great models in this group that it's difficult to choose. I've tried to adopt a criterion that takes into consideration: Construction - primarily finish; Realism or the modeler's ability to replicate the "real thing"; Uniqueness or the subject's likelyhood of not being readily presented commercially by the alternative medium, and; the setting in which the finished subject has been photographed. And of course, there are certain models that I have a particular attachment to e.g. The China Clipper.

Cliff.

lastvautour

The pole has been set up with the models submitted. Please vote.

Lou

lastvautour

For whatever reason I messed up the final date. It is 8 Feb so you have a few more days to vote.

Lou

lastvautour

8th Feb is quickly approaching. Vote for your choice of model of the year in the above poll.
Next year will feature all models completed in 2009. Start building now, avoid the rush.

Lou

lastvautour

Congratulation to Jeff for his fantastic China Clipper. With 12 votes it was a clear winner for 2008. Worthy of mention was Gera's Balbo's SM-55X and Rafa's Convair Charger. Again, congratulation Jeff.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Yes Jeff, Congratulations, I've been meaning to write you a personal Email but as those who have gotten my personal e-mails will attest, they come few and far between and have all the charm and warmth of a reprimand from General Patton. Congrats, well deserved, on building such a fine model and on it being our first Model of the year. Please keep up the good work, you inspire us all.  :o :-* :-* :'( :-[ :P
Ray   ;D

P.S. I voted for yours.  :-[  :P

O.K. SOOUND OFF GENTLEMEN! Congratulate the Modeler NOW!  >:(
"The Dude Abides"

scottzepher

Congratulations Jeff--a great job on a great subject!

Tom

cliff strachan

Wonderful model Jeff. And a wonderful subject. As you know, back in the '30s it was all the news. Even made a motion picture about it with Humphrey Bogart. Your model serves as a real goal for the rest of us. All that remains is for you to present a detailed tutorial concerning How to Do It.

Cliff.

JeffH

Thanks everybody!

I'm glad you liked my China Clipper model; it's one of my favorites too.

Unfortunately I don't have any in-progress photos of the model under construction.  However, if anyone has any questions about how I built the model, I'll gladly answer them. 

Maybe in the fullness of time I'll make another Martin M130 model; the model was based on some plans for a (Comet?) kit I believe appeared on this site.  The plans left a bit to be desired, but they were the best I could find.  If a more detailed set of drawings ever turn up I may have another go at it.

Thanks again,

Jeff