• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SS Panama 1:1200 scale

Started by Oceaneer99, April 23, 2020, 02:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

It has been forever since I worked on a solid model, although recently I have built a number of scale rockets. I thought it was time for a nice 1:1200 waterline model.

I found the plans for this one in the October 1939 issue of Popular Science.  I redrew the plans to make it easy to transfer to each thickness of basswood and cardstock.

I am considering pasting the pattern on the wood, borrowing a technique from rocket builders called "papering the fins".  In addition to covering grain, it also strengthens the balsa fins in a flying rocket.

— Garet

lastvautour

Nice to see you back in the hobby.

Lou

lastvautour

Do you have any new photos to post?

Lou

Oceaneer99

I'm a little late in my progress photos, so you will see a lot of progress quickly.

Gluing up the hull and deck

Oceaneer99

Upper decks, funnel, and side windows in place.

The window detail was made using a comb-shaped piece of cardstock, then filling in the gaps to equal the deck above. The deck at the window level is cut back so that there is space behind the windows.

Oceaneer99

Pieces of music wire inserted into pre-drilled holes for masts and derrick cranes.

Oceaneer99

I painted the model using model paints and an airbrush (white and gray), or hand-brushed (tan). The silver bands on the funnel are cut from adhesive vinyl.

Gearup

That is a very tidy model at such small scale. Well done. Could you elaborate on the paper comb to make the side windows?

Fraser

buccfan

Excellent work and detailing for such a small scale Garet, regards Paul J.

Oceaneer99

Fraser, this photo should hopefully help. I strengthened the cardstock comb with CA glue and let that dry before attaching it to the side of the hull. I used putty to build up the deck in between the cardstock verticals at the upper deck level, and sanded and putties the ends to blend them to the existing structure.

Gearup

Thanks for expanding on the window details and using cardstock with CA glue. It produced a very even window detail for such a small size and it certainly gives the 3d look rather than painted windows.

Regards,
Fraser

Boomerang

Garet,

Excellent work !
A great looking model.

Cheers

Gordonl

lastvautour

The SS Panama is fantastic Garet.

Lou