• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-88 finished

Started by FlyingS, August 17, 2022, 12:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingS

Finally after years in the making the Comet is finally finished!! My printer ink wouldn't print the red bright enough to mach the paint job. All the decals are heavier paper and used an Elmer's Glue stick to apply them. Then I covered it with 3 layers of clear gloss (water base) polyurethane. My first paper decals I used standard weight paper but I had to paint the backs with white paint to keep the color from showing through. I didn't have that problem with the heavier paper. The 3 coats of poly helped to blend the edges to the model. This is my 5th model and I learn something (or several) with each model.

Gearup

Beautiful looking model of a classy racer. I wonder how a contemporary Comet would sell today? it would be entirely doable with modern composites and engines that are now available.
Fraser

lastvautour

Excellent Comet. Matching printed colours to existing paint colours is problematic for most printers including mine. Lately, I do light coloured letters by printing and painting over the desired areas before attaching to the model.

Lou

FlyingS

Thanks Lou! I learn something new every model. I've planned my next 3 builds. F7F Tigercat, F9F Panther and Cougar. My father was carrier Navy (aviation) for 20 year. I'm trying to do as many airplanes he had worked on.

lastvautour

Another method I use on light coloured letters is to print on clear decal film and paint the code letters. Here is a 1/48 Mossie that used that technique. The roundels and tail flash are printed on white film.

The Panther and Cougar are on my radar once I finish the RCAF 100 project.

Lou

Boomerang

The panther has been on my radar for a very long time.

Was looking at colour schemes a couple of days ago.

Looks like a cook up might be an idea when your finish your RCAF project Lou.

Gordon

lastvautour

I would definitely join a Panther or naval aircraft cook-up.

Lou