• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

HAWKER "HART" (SSM 20th Anniversary Cook-up)

Started by K_mars, December 21, 2021, 10:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

I will make HAWER "HART" at 1/72 scale according to the production article of "SCALE MODEL AIR CRAFT" by J.H. STEVENS that I got a long time ago. 1/72 matches the scale of the SKYBIRDS kit.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=811.0;attach=7829;image

K_mars

I cut materials for fuselage by the method of "J.H. STEVENS".
The others are "My method" to make the fuselage separately on the left and right.

lastvautour

Gearup

I like the doweled pinned fuselage halves.
Fraser

K_mars

Fraser, Thanks.

With the method of dividing into left and right, it is possible to draw the side shape of the fuselage inside.
The side shape is retained even after cutting the plane shape. Paper pattern is coated with superglue from the back side for reinforcement.
The rectangle opened on the paper pattern is for aligning with the reference line.

kenji

K_mars

I cut material for fuselage by the method of "J.H. STEVENS".
It's an orthodox method, but it's difficult to get an accurate right angle. The center line drawn on the fuselage disappears by cutting.

lastvautour

Gearup

Putting the pattern inside the model halves is a great idea!
Fraser

K_mars

Thanks, Fraser

The tip of the fuselage is a circle.
Glue a thin plastic plate to make this part accurately and for protection. Then I shaped the fuselage.

lastvautour

I like the details of your build.

Lou

Boomerang

K_mars

Thanks, Lou, Gordon

The airfoil of "Hawker Hart" is RAF 28. The maximum wing thickness is 30-40% on the upper wing surface and 20-30% on the lower wing surface. Mark this position on the wood.

In "My method", the groove of the propeller shaft can be easily carved.

K_mars

It is easier to work by sticking it on the work table with double-sided tape to scrape the thin wings.
Sticking sandpaper on a wooden board will speed up your work.

lastvautour

I also love using a chisel for carving wings. I will try the double sided tape idea. Thank you.

Lou

K_mars

Fill the two slots with glue, and fix the centre section of the wing hard on to the board with a strip of cloth and drawing pins.