• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

A exhibition solid model in just ten days-Can I do it ?

Started by Balsabasher, May 18, 2011, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

I have ten days to build,paint and finish a model of the Caproni Campini CC2 pioneer jet aircraft for the 70 th Anniversary of Sir Frank Whittles invention and place it on public display.

The brief is to deliver a 1=27th scale model of this jet to be on show 27th-28th May,do I accept the challenge ? do you have confidence in Balsabasher to come up with the goods in this time ?
Do I put everything down to make a start ?

Ken Pugh

Wow, you could probably knock that thing out in no time on a lathe!

1/27th or 1/72nd?

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

Beautiful photograph. Wonderful challenge. Go for it!
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cut the fuselage blank today,thats a start anyway ! dont the Italians like shapely aeroplanes.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Quote from: Ken Pugh on May 18, 2011, 10:56:39 PM
Wow, you could probably knock that thing out in no time on a lathe!

1/27th or 1/72nd?

Ken Pugh

It is to 1=27 th Ken,not a mis-print or transposed.

Mark Braunlich

Interesting choice in scale.

Just as an aside, the large plastic WW1 aircraft made by Revell starting ca. 1957 are usually advertised as 1:28 scale.  They are actually 1:27.429  or 7/16" = 1'.   

Balsabasher

As at today when I closed the workshop,the Caproni Campini CC2 in the raw,will it meet that deadline ? 9  days to go.

A bit of history related to this project-
The Caproni Campini CC2 was Italys answer to their entry into Thermojet engines,these were not pure jets as we know them today but a 670 hp Isotta Fraschini piston engine was used to drive a compressor which forced air into a combustion chamber where it was mixed with fuel and ignited,the aircraft was first flown on 27-08-1940 although the idea was drawn up in 1934.

On 15 May 1941, the Gloster E28/39 aircraft powered by Sir Frank Whittle's pioneering engine took off for a flight that lasted almost 17 minutes but it was Germany who flew the first jet engine earlier in a small Heinkel 178 aircraft on 27-08-1939.

Barry.

cliff strachan

It looks like you're really coming along, Barry. Nice work so far. And thanks for the history.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

More progress today,delivery aimed at Friday.
Barry.

Balsabasher

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Well there is an ironic ending to this story and despite being completed in sealer the Caproni will not be going on display after all at the museum 70 th Anniversary of the jet engine ! with no cabinets offered,no security and frankly no interest from a certain individual who insisted in spoiling things for me,he actually said that my services were superflous and I was so upset and offended that I withdrew my services,a bit of jealousy I feel from someone who in the position as so called co-ordinator should know better and I told him so.
Well you cannot win them all and at least I have a nice solid for my collection of this interesting subject,in fact I think I will place my own private display of early jet aircraft for my good friends to see,at least that way it will be appreciated.
Ah that was good to get off my chest ! I feel better now.
Barry.

lastvautour

Definitely their loss to have offended a most valuable contributor to aircraft history. Your models are always appreciated and your talent ranks at the top of the list. I await the completed project.

Lou

cliff strachan

Looks really neat, Barry. And I also support Lou's remarks. Glad you got your point across. The beauty of being part of the older than mean age is it's about time we tell it as it is.
Cliff.