• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Auster AOP.9

Started by Balsabasher, September 17, 2013, 10:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

First fuselage blank cut today,this is being built from the Airsail rubber driven flying model plan,I have a lovely set of decals that came with the kit to use on it plus a tin of yellow paint from a car boot sale,I think it will look very impressive as a solid model.
The wood used was from a surplus block sold in model shops post war from Mosquito production at the Standard motor company.

Barry.

lastvautour

Very nice start to an interesting subject.

Lou

Balsabasher

Today I carved the fuselage,cut and carved the wings then turned up some wheels for the Auster AOP9,the wheels were bushed with brass tube.

Barry.

This is what I am aiming for,a pretty high wing monoplane finished in yellow.

Balsabasher

The wings have been jigged up and fitted today and the air cooling exit vents carved into the sides of the fuselage,they are quite prominant on the full sized aircraft.

This is quite bizarre as outside today I was flying the rubber model from which the plan originated in the 'Airsail' range from Australia,the decal sheet was so attractive that I thought it would be a pity to use it on the flying model and risk getting it damaged and anyway they are too heavy for such a small tissue covered beauty,so I used the same plans exactly as is to build this solid !

Next job is to make up the wing struts and to carve a suitable propeller,its really good to be building again and with a flying field next to my garden I have been out flying my noiseless small electric models every day in the fresh air while the weather is good,this aviation activity has proved to be quite a talking point in the neighbourhood and last week a lady knocked on the door asking if I sell any of my models ? she had spotted some solids on display in my porch even the postman likes them,she wanted a Red Arrows Hawk for her grandsons birthday but the nearest that I had was a lovely red and white Jet Povost T.4,she paid me well and everyone was happy,it helped me buy some new balsa stock from the local hardware shop,I still have one Jet Provost left out of four built.

I am finally all moved in and settled,the circular saw bench and sander sit covered up in the garden ready for use were the last items delivered last week by box van, plus two storage sheds that I have assembled and put to good use storing wood and other materials,its taken me the best part of this year to get everything in place but I finally did it ! now I am happy once more and able to build when I feel like it which is normally every day.

Barry.

Flying field at the bottom of my garden,I am in seventh heaven !

cliff strachan

All told it's a very nice setup you've got, Barry. The moving part is what impresses me at this time as I'm going through the throes of moving myself. I really shouldn't say "Never again," especially at my age, but it really is the way I feel. I really do admire your determination to keep flying the rubber types. Show us some photos of your rubber powered craft. ( I wish that I'd kept at it. But it reminds me of the time when I was just a kid, and plagued with the proverbial problem of wing warp, I determined to toss it in the garbage. Low and behold, when I returned to the garbage to find my wrecked model it was gone. Fortunately, my dad had rescued the model knowing that I'd probably be back looking for it again! And this isn't even Father's Day. There must be a million stories like this in a Group like this.)
Cliff.

Balsabasher

First coat of sanding sealer after the lift struts were added.

Barry.

lastvautour

Coming along nicely.

Lou

Balsabasher

Added air scoops,exhaust and oil cooler today as seen in the picture.
Barry.