• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tragedy Strikes Qld Restored De Havilland DH84 Dragon

Started by Crop Duster, October 03, 2012, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crop Duster

cliff strachan

Thanks Kev for the very interesting account of the tragic end of a great aircraft. It, regretably, reminds me that I should, and will, post some very old photos of what could have resulted in similarly tragic circumstances. I'm referring to the wreck of two Tiger Moths way back in the '50s that because I was a part owner and because we payed a grand total of $1450.00 - an amount that today would be absolutely unbelievable (my share amounted to only $725.00) - should be of interest to many of our members. But more of this later. For the present let me add my voice to welcoming you to the Group. If I in fact do post the recently recovered photos it was primarily your contribution - as sad as it was - that served the motivation. In this sense you have already made a contribution to SMM. Welcome again.

Cliff

Crop Duster

Yes Cliff, was sad to learn yesterday that the aircraft had been found and all aboard had been lost. The love for that aircraft by its owner and the story behind his life is one well worth being told. While I had never seen the aircraft at our last local air show here in CQ, it truly was a beautiful sight to behold when ever shown on TV.

Cheers Kev.

cliff strachan

]Hi members of SMM.

Sometime ago I advised or more likely warned that I intended to show a few photos of the ultimate end of my earlier attempts at flying. I'm attempting to do this now because a) it may be of interest to members in general; b) in view of how cheap flying was in the past it may prove enlightening; c) no one was killed and that in itself is amazing, and; d) I promised I would. Also, the photos which were believed lost have been found; there exists a general feeling of nostalgia within the group (or really why would anyone be involved with Solid Scale), and; there seems to be a lull in postings.

This first photo is a shot of CF-CTD in the whole before we bought it. $650.00.

Here we have a photo of my partner the pilot. (LS of photo)

The resting place of poor old CTD on Lake Winnipeg.

The second pilot with DXL($800.00)

Cliff.

Peter

Interesting photos Cliff its amazing no one was hurt!

Peter

lastvautour

Nice photos and yes I am one of those nostalgic types also. I have been wanting to do a DH-82 for quite a while. Someday!!!

Lou

Crop Duster

Interesting photos Cliff. While it is often said that flying is one of the safest means around I for one just cant bring myself to enjoy it. Yet I sit envious of those who have the ability to fly like the birds.
Cheers Crop Duster.

cliff strachan

Hi Crop Duster,
You have no reason to be envious. Those days have been gone for a long time. And while we did have fun - and sometimes even did some crazy and perhaps illegal things - it was all part of being young. You've joined the right group now. And, as I see it, nostalgia and an historical perspective are qualities that are most in need of today not only by SMM but by the world in general. I really do know what you mean though. I and many others still dream of the days of flying training with the RCAF, movies such as Captains of the Clouds,kid's newspapers such as Jimmy Allen - or was it Howie Wing - and joining up as we were conditioned to do by world events but ultimately unable - thank heaven. All grounds to feel a touch of envy too.

I'm sure that you will have much to contribute to SMM.
Cliff.