• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Solid; not wood, but a wood product.

Started by Mark Crowel, June 29, 2010, 04:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Crowel

Partially covered with the lightweight cardboard and colored paper.

Balsabasher

It is incredible what can be achieved with all of those laminations,I normally throw corrugated card out but not now I have seen what can be done with it ? a very interesting approach and seeing the model build up like this.
Years ago you could buy packs of coloured adhesive backed paper,they were aimed at the childrens market,they would be ideal for applying to models like this and lapping and folding the edges over,I even covered a solid model with them once and it turned out fine.
Barry.

Mark Crowel

I definetly have to browse this forum more.  I went to the Gallery, Barry, and I saw your Autogiro, Flying Boat, and your Fokker D7 build photos.  Your work is excellent!

I like the way you pose your aircraft models against the sky.  What do you use to hold them in place?

Balsabasher

Mark I use nylon fishing line strung between a shed and another anchor point,any glare from the nylon is easily erased in a paint programme,likewise propeller blurr can be simulated with the eraser tool,it takes a bit of practise but can be fun to achieve a satisfactory result.
Barry.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

Balsabasher

There is some clever stuff done there.
Barry.

Mark Crowel

I went to the link and enjoyed the visit.  Thanks for providing it.

Mark Crowel

This car isn't complete yet, but I'm so pleased with the way it's turning out, I couldn't wait to post pictures of it.

It's another of my solid laminated corrugated cardboard builds, this time of a generic 1940's design, largely inspired by the 1946-48 Chrysler sedan, with some concurrent Ford styling on the front.

Building this model is a journey back in time, as I am imagining what it would be like for a do-it-yourself model car builder in the late 1940's or early '50's, to take raw materials in hand, and create for himself the car he would want.

Mark Braunlich

Interesting build technique, Mark.

I've only built one non-plastic model car, a Hudson Oldtimers 1904 Rambler, which I gave away as a gift.  May still have some photos around, I'll have to look.

Mark, I was wondering if you are familiar with a book titled MOTOR MODELLING by Rex Hays, printed in 1961.  If not, you must look for it.  It's about scratch building vintage model cars with wood, card, wire, and sheet metal.  I think you'd find it fascinating.

Keep up the good work.

Mark Crowel

Yes, Mark B., I remember looking through that book in the Mount Clemens (or Sterling Heights), Michigan, public library, about 31 years ago.  I was about 29 at the time, and had recently started scratchbuilding my model cars. 

I've been hoping to find that book ever since, but couldn't remember the title.  I also wasn't sure of the author's name, as there was also a famous actor by the same name, and therefore, I wondered if I had confused the actor's name with the author's name.

Thank you for this information.  I will be on the trail of this book again.

Balsabasher

I love these chunky builds Mark,I once made a Citroen CV in card from a book on making model cars,wonder if it was the one mentioned ? I do remember it was part of a series,ie cars,lorries,aeroplanes etc small pulp paper publications.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Ken Pugh

Try amazon.com, saw one for $18.95 and one for $20.

Ken Pugh

Mark Crowel

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind compliments, and for the leads on the book.

Mark Crowel

I'm sorry to say that I did not complete the 1964 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk that I introduced in this topic; likewise for the generic 1940's style sedan.  As the models progressed, they became increasingly less satisfactory. 

What I did complete is a 1950 Nash AirFlyte (http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=795.0).
For this car, I went back to my method of profile shaped sections and simple curves.

As for compound curves, it will be a while before I retry them.