• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The Repairshop - wooden “spitfire” restoration BBC tv show

Started by Gearup, December 07, 2021, 07:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

My wife and I have recently "discovered"  a BBC show called The Repair Shop. It is filmed for the past few years in a British country living-museum where the fictional repair shop is located. Real craftsman and crafts women expertly restore any variety of furniture, instruments, toys, paintings and family heirlooms. Each carry's a story from the owner and the reason for restoration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007nmd

This episode is about the restoration of a solid wood model airplane. It was carved by a relative who was later shot down in his Lancaster bomber in WW2 for his younger brother. The little model was passed down through generations and arrived in the repair shop in poor condition with a broken wing and missing propeller blade. Although it was described as a Spitfire by the nephew currently in possession, the model does actually appear to be a P47 in British livery. The family can identify it whatever they want, but the model remains a tangible piece of their family history.   

The wing was repaired along with some restoration to the model that retained the character that came from the original builders hands. While many of us do not have a story such as this to pass along with the models we make, I can hope that some distant relative will cherish something from their families past that was uniquely hand crafted and built to last.

Now if you excuse me, I have to watch the latest Repair Shop recording with my wife to see what skills and back stories are being presented....

Fraser

lastvautour

Looks interesting but i cannot open nor view on line. If you take photos of the screen as you watch, perhaps they would be clear enough to get a look at it. I would definitely take a look at duplicating a piece of history.

Lou

Boomerang

Series 4 episode 13. Found it on Facebook ( google search).

They always do a good job on this show.

The model is restored to what it looked like.

A piece of family history restored for future generations.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Gordon could you give me the link. I have search but still can't get to view it.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou,

Google search.

"BBC repair shop broken spitfire "

Should bring up 4 x 3 minute videos on face book.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Found it, thank you Fraser and Gordon. I managed to get a decent shot of the P-47B Thunderbolt in RAF camouflage scheme. I was unable to fins another yellow nose P-47 for comparison, however this does not make this beauty any less precious.

Lou