• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Uncle Desiree

Started by lastvautour, November 06, 2020, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

How do you put a 32 in wide sofa through a 30 inch door? I am told that my uncle Desiree had a knack at figuring weird ways of doing things. Mom would frequently label me of being Uncle Desiree.

Back to the sofa. Easy job!! Remove the door - easy enough. Remove the moldings and door jam - a little harder but quite doable without with major damage. Remove the 2 X 4 door frame - complex. Using my oscillating saw, I cut the drywall 1 1/2 inch in from the edge. Then you remove the 4 inch nails that hold the vertical 2 X 4s and remove the frame with that strip of drywall still attached. You will need that strip to re-attached the door moldings. Pray and say a few choice words as you use a metal cutting blade to cut the nails holding the header frame to the wall. Again, cut the drywall 1 1/2 inch in. When you remove the inner and out header the strip stays attached to the header 2 X 4s. Use masking tape to cover the edge of the drywall as the fit will still be quite tight. Now, clean the sofa, dust the other furniture and wet mop the floor to gather all the drywall dust. Now lay down on the sofa and nap.

Tomorrow, put it all back together.

Lou

Gearup

hahaha. I did get a huge sofa out of the basement when we moved to this house. I used a sledge hammer on the couch and carried the pieces out. That couch was much too ugly to expend the effort to curb it intact ..... ;)
Fraser

lastvautour

When we sell, the sofa will stay with the house and it will their problem.

Lou

Boomerang

I didn't have to get that drastic . Just had to remove the door. Problem solved though we've since replaced the door with a wider one.

Gordon

lastvautour

It went apart much easier than it is going back together.

Lou