lastvautour

March already, what happened to February? Oh well,

1/1200
First Perch Class sub sanded down and repainted. Photos to follow
Second Perch Class sub on the bench

1/144 Scale
HMCS Bonaventure - no progress
Banshee - awaiting decals (1 completed)
Tracker - putty and major sanding required (1 ready for paint shop)
Surprise - minor sanding and paint/decals required

1/72 - nil

1/48
Canadair Argus - nil progress

1/32
Lockheed Hudson - lower fuselage and wings painted. Masking applied and awaiting top colour paint from Great Hobbies within a few days.

1/1
All quiet - flu gone and play time resumed.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Great progress on the monster Hellcat but it is now on hold.

Some progress on the F-102 that I need to get on the forum.  Block shape of the fuselage is pretty much done; now needs to be rounded out.

New project starting for my church.  I need to build a model of our building project.  Hopefully I will get some measurements figured out tonight then I can jump on this.  Hope to have this done by end of month.

Ken Pugh

R.F.Bennett

I'm recovering from 2 hrs in the dentist chair. I would have rather played Chess with Captain Bly.

Re-fined my 16" Preston bridge (a failed attempt) and put the stacks on her.

Got the Plans for the Olympic/Brittanic ordered.

Received a couple of boat plans.

A few more notes to go on the Perch build PDF.

Website Stuff; Laying out a new reference section for the Brittanic build and a new What The? System

A new Project, Laying the Keel for a Clyde Puffer.

The YMS is stalled due to a lack of brain power.

The Strombecker F-86 is waiting for decals, my printer died.

Deleted 1200+ emails

Oh and I put shelves in my closet.

Tucker goes to the dentist next  >:(

Back to bed. . . zzzzzzzz
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

My 1/350 scale HMCS Bonaventure photo on flickr passed the 1000th view sometime last week but I did not notice until today. That is a lot of exposure!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/8416077@N08/2427703923/stats/

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Congrats Lou...  :D  :P  :-*

Having Puter problems;  :P

"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Ray,

It looks like your cat got to your computer  :-\  Are those SyQuest disks!?  Of course, I should talk -- I'm the oddball with the USB to SCSI converter so I can read my "legacy" drives.

Garet

R.F.Bennett

iomega JAZ disks 1 GIG! EACH! Took 20 minutes to load them to my computer. 20 seconds to send them to my usb Passport drive.

Tucker did help, yes, Mostly in an advisory capacity.  :-\
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

March Status Report

1/72 Bristol Spaceplanes Ascender: hollowed out aft fuselage, cut and fit rocket nozzle
1/1200 USS Pompano ID waterline model completed
1/1200 USS Nautilus ID waterline model completed
1/500 USS Wilkes class destroyer (four stacker): four hull blanks, one hull completely shaped, stacks cut and inserted, guns and torpedos for five hulls completed, first cabintop tried out but I'm not completely satisfied and may rebuild

Repaired 1/72  Curtis P-40E, which was hit by an errant volleyball and plunged from the ceiling to the workbench.  A deep scratch and damaged paint to the spinner were filled and repainted.  Damage to the vertical stabilizer paint was touched up.

Building a small wooden board (2 x 3 feet) for a simple N-scale railroad layout
Made progress on 1:1 child's kayak

Researched lathes, lathe-building, and dowel-making as background for rocket models

Found drawings for Nike-Smoke rocket at library
Found drawings for NR-1 and Ohio class submarines in an old magazine
Worked a bit on organizing my plan and drawing backlog

R.F.Bennett

Had to scrap the blog, Garet and I are working on a new one with the help of a new member. Back to the old cathode ray tube. . .  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Paul

Inspired by the WWII ID model cook-up I started a Heinkel 113 a couple of days ago.  While sticking paper to wood I realized that the ID plans "C-5" had a more eliptical wing than shows in photographs.  I decided to use a three-view from: http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/heinkel100_3v.jpg that seems to have a wing that looks like what I see in photos.  so I guess this model doesn't qualify for the cook-up, maybe next time.  I had fun with anhedral and dihedral angles in the same wing.  I was worried that end-grain butt joints would be too brittle so I added splines to the three joints.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=216

R.F.Bennett

That's kind of why we refer to the ID plans as a separate group than the regular plans and views. Many of them were drawn before and during the war from vague photos and not examinations of actual aircraft. They are a good guide on how to pattern and assemble certain aircraft but not really considered to be scale drawings. Good work
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Paul,

Nice work on your model.

Not to worry, your plane "qualifies" for the ID cook-up.  I also built an He-113, but as a very tiny 1/288 scale model, and quickly learned that not only are the Navy plans not particularly accurate, but also that there really wasn't an He-113 to begin with: they were re-painted Heinkel He-100 D1 aircraft, made to look like Germany had squadrons of night fighters in propaganda photos.  It was a pretty interesting story, and one I wouldn't have learned about had I not been making a model of one and looking for more scale information.

Wikipedia has some information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_113

Garet

lastvautour

Nice work Paul. Like Ray said, ID is just that, just a reasonable faximile. Yours looks pretty good to me. Please post more pictures.

Lou

lastvautour

I know this is April, however I needed to include this into Pauls ping. The drawings from Richard Ferriere may contain errors. The first 8 F2H-3 Banshees I had to scrap were proof of that.  Just compare with other draiwngs first before comitting to that first cut. In my case the wing span was correct but the fuselage was too short by a lot. Whoever made the drawing assumed the total lenght of the fuselage included the refueling probe. Hence, I spent 2 months working on useless models. I did learn my lesson (I hope), measure compare and cut.

Lou