Board Stats:

Total Members:     68
Total Posts:    1534
Total Topics:    241
Total Categories:    8
Most Online:    68 - August 07, 2008, 05:36:35 PM
Total page views:    194360

lastvautour

Greetings from Eastern Canada. I hope the New Year brings greater participation of our members if only to provide praise or constructive criticism.
On the bench for 2009
1/144 Scale

HMCS Bonaventure - awaiting completion of aircraft before proceeding any further
CP-121 Tracker 1 in paint shop, 3 primed and initial sanding completed
HO4S-3 Horse 1 awaiting allotment of time
F2H-3 Banshee - in paintshop

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2377
1/32
Lockheed Hudson - having problems with ink bleeding throught primer. I used black marker to see what the nose glass would look like and it still persist even after sanding and re-prime. I don't want to remove anymore wood at this time.
Beech C-45 - stalled
Fairchild Bollinbroke - stalled

Several plastic kits - stalled

lastvautour

Oops. I forgot
1/48
CP-107 Canadair Argus - Fuselage in block form.

Oceaneer99

Unfortunately, I made little progress on the traditional model projects last month.

Scale Models:

• Bristol LRQ-1 1/72 remains rough-cut
  • Speed Spitfire 1/48 is fuselage only (shaped, though)
  • Bristol Spaceplanes Ascender 1/72 has most of its parts shaped, needs to be assembled
  • PT-9 (large) still in the ways
  • PT-10 1/350 recutting some parts to make another

"Fun" Models:

• Two egg-shaped "rocketships" assembled and primed, need some more putty work before painting
  • Miniature Star Wars R2D2 model (in wood): rough shaping, working on paper decals

Plans:

• Still perusing simple ID ship model plans
  • Still assembling user-submitted plans (yes, Ray, I still owe you a CD!)
  • Started searching Google's new collection of Popular Science for plans.  I'm currently searching 1930-1931 and have found a number of "simplified" solid model plans.  They are scanned at about 150 dpi, gray scale, so they are just barely useful (the original plans were tiny). You have to go through all sorts of contortions to actually save the image.

Tools:

• Finished the 3/16-inch chisel
  • Made a 1/8-inch gouge; needs a handle
  • Made a 3/32-inch chisel; needs a handle
  • Made a tiny wooden try square
  • Figured out how to make tool handles from copper pipe and sticks
  • Reading lots of books on toolmaking

Workshop:

• Finished the lidded "cigar box" made from hardboard, including hinge
  • Glued up part of a simpler "cigar box"
  • Replaced some plastic cups that held sanding sticks and tweezers with a stout metal vase so they will stop spilling on the workbench
  • Planning new workbench and storage shelves
  • Planning additional model display shelves
  • Still perfecting my magnetic adjustable airplane hanging scheme

Garet

spider web

Happy New Year to all !

I've been busily reorganizing my shop and finding all sorts of misplaced parts and tools along with a few aircraft parts ready to assemble to boot.

I even found my shop handbook given to me at Rohm & Haas in bristol, PA that has all sorts of information on how to fabricate acrylic with shop made tools.
One of the simple tools allows one to make the tooling to make clear acrylic hemisphere's in any diameter in less than a day.  If anyone is interested, I'll share the information.   

A couple of solid models I wish to make this year are that of the twelve engined DOX flying boat and the Italian catamaran that landed in New York harbor in the late 20's.

I also found a couple of wood turnings that will eventually become the rockets Flash Gordon flew.

;D Spider Web

cliff strachan

Hi Spider,

Both interesting subjects for modeling. The catamaran that you mentioned I believe is nominated as one of the "models of the year" done by Gera. The DOX will be a challenge.

Cliff.

spider web

I guess it's my age or natural bent, but I've always liked "String Bags".

I'm facinated with what a craftsman with a few hand tools and limited resources could make. 
Considering myself lucky to in essence be the last of this breed, connect with a model of any aircraft of this period.
And of course, was thrill and adventure of developing an aircraft from a plywood mockup to a production aircraft.   
I was fortunate to have worked on the plywood mockups of the CH-46 Seaknight and CH-47 Chinook helicopters in the Morton Plant of Piasecki Helicopters.  There were engineering models all over the place that were actually used as developmental shorthand.   Models were not toys!  There were no computers available at the time !
I remember one engineer using shirt cardboard cut outs pinned to a drawing board in developing swash plate controls for the rotor system !   
So making a model of the DOX or similar aircraft is more than just a nice looking model, it allows me to appreciate what these people did.

Ken Pugh

When I reported in last month I said things were progressing well on the monster Hellcat.  I proceeded to fall extremely sick for the month of December.  To top that off I got sick again at the start of January.  I am now finally getting back to life.  Good thing I did not have to pay for that flu shot this year.

I am working on the prop and nose of the Hellcat.  At 1/16 scale, that is a typical solid project all its own.  I thought I had it licked then ruined a part for the prop hub.

I received a used copy of Detail & Scale F-102.  The drawings do not have body sections on this poorly documented fighter.  I will begin construction as soon as I can justify it or get fed up with my current projects.

I finally used my small hobby lathe by Proxxon that I bought for Christmas back in 2007.  I fumbled around at first but quickly fell in love with it.  I am sure it is not a good, proper lathe, but it is good enough for a dummy like me who knows no better.  Not only will chips and sawdust fly but now shavings as well!

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I search for the cross sections and came up empty handed also. I did get a pretty good drawing of the two seater version.

Lou

JeffH

Not much new here modelingwise.  Over the holidays I started a Lockheed 12 model from the old Popular Science Donald W. Clark plans, but it will be a very long time before it's finished-- too much of a back log in the paint booth.

The plan I used for the Lockheed 12 is conveniently on line now at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dyYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA76&dq=inauthor:Donald+inauthor:W+inauthor:Clark+date:1930-1939&lr=&as_brr=1&as_pt=MAGAZINES

Regarding F-102 drawings, if you could find the original source of the drawings from this site:
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw2/f102_revi.html
you would be in luck.  Cross sections are called out in the drawings, but unfortunately are not included in the on-line file.  Probably from some Eastern European modeling magazine originally.

I believe the original source of the F-102 drawings on the Russian website is the Czech publication "Revi"; specifically issues 53 and 54 which apparently both featured articles on the F-102.  More information can be found at http://www.revi.cz/en/revi/53_en.html  (the web page indicates the issue includes 1/72nd drawings of the F/TF-102).

JeffH

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

spider web

If anyone is interested in making solid models of rotary winged aircraft, here is a good source of info.
www.helicoptermuseum.org

The museum is located about two miles from me at the Brandywine Airport next door the world headquarters of QVC.
The HUP and the H-21 were some of the aircraft I actually worked on.
My friend, now deceased, worked on the Flying Jeep.   The V-22, Osprey is one of the three prototypes that were built. One was destroyed in a crash, the second was used for destructive tests and the third sets outside the museum, enginless.

Enjoy the sight....................Spider

lastvautour

Ray, I down loaded the F-102A drawings. Those and the ones that Jeff indicated should prove to be quite useful.

Spider. Thanks for the site. I will be making an H-55 shortly.

Lou

Oceaneer99

JeffH, thanks for pointing out the Lockheed 12 model plans.  I've been having fun with the Popular Science plans, though have only made it through 1930-1932 so far.  The plans in the issue you pointed out (Jan 1937) are more detailed than the earlier ones.

I have been looking at some of their Preston (destroyer) ship plans.  They have a neat article about a simplified model of a similar DD (the USS Leary) in the Jan 1932 issue, but there are some details missing.  I finally turned up four sets of plans of this destroyer class (there is an Ideal Destroyer Preston plan, one from How to Build a Model Navy, the Preston for Popular Science, and the Leary from Popular Science).  Of course, no two agree, and some are obviously wrong.

There is also a nice plan, at about 1:350 scale, of the USS Kearny in the April 1942 issue.

Garet

Oceaneer99

Speaking of the helicopter museum, check out that Princeton Air Scooter!

http://www.helicoptermuseum.org/AircraftDetails.asp?HelicopterID=32