• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - HMCS Bonaventure Air Fleet - 1/240 Tracker/Banshee/Horse

Started by lastvautour, November 17, 2015, 02:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The wings and fuselage are glued and await putty and blending by sanding. The undercarriage has been started by sawing dowels with a one sided razor blade. Straight pins are cut and super-glued to the wheel discs. The twin nose wheels are one piece dowel with a jewel saw notch for separation Undercarriage doors are scrap wood thinned to approximate to .3 cm (first photo). Doors will be lightly sanded after the glue sets. The last photo has a .010 X .060 Evergreen plastic strip that can be used as an alternate to cutting such thin wood for the undercarriage.

Lou

lastvautour

Propeller blades are cut from the remaining .3 cm wood. Each blade is held in place until the superglue takes hold. The undercarriage is temporarily in place for a photo op. The last photo is acrylic grey being applied as primer. It shows the imperfections and additional sanding required.

Lou

buccfan

Nice work Lou, have you used your new lens for these?. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Not yet. The misses won't let me take it to the work area for dear of dust.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Broke the vertical fin again while doing final sanding. Wood glue this time. It takes longer but fills the crack better. Props have been given a thick coat of sealer.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

First one in 1/240 scale. I tried in 1/350 scale and gave up after many failed attempts. So being a bit bigger, I hope to be successful.

Lou

lastvautour

The MAD Boom and arrestor hook recess is cut our. The hook is thin wire while the MAD Boom is 1 mm bamboo dowel. It is hard to photograph such small details.

Lou

lastvautour

Painting by brush and then adding masking tape. The vertical fin needs masking after the horizontal deicer boots plane are painted.

Lou

buccfan

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. I need to redo the masking of the windscreen and upper windows need to be a bit bigger. The imperfections sure show up on those close up photos. I had not realized the poor workmanship at the tail surfaces joint.

Lou

lastvautour

Just waiting for decals.

Lou

lastvautour

The first set of props fell apart, so here we go again. As an alternate I made some discs using clear decal film over plastic pie cover.

Lou

lastvautour

Radome is a dowel shaped and cut with the razor blade. Care must be taken as cracking is always possible. This is my second attempt. The wing pylons are .010 X .030 in Evergreen strips. Decals arrived yesterday but had commitments. I hope to find time to complete the Tracker this weekend. CanMilAir decals up to their usual quality.

Lou