• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - HMCS Bonaventure Air Fleet - 1/240 Tracker/Banshee/Horse

Started by lastvautour, November 17, 2015, 02:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

CanMilAir decals sheet # 208 really sets things off. So the HO4S-3 is completed.

Lou

lastvautour

And again. The last photo shows my 1/144, 1/240 and 1/350 sitting on the rear deck of my 1/350 HMCS Bonaventure.

buccfan

That looks amazing Lou, excellent work . Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

lastvautour

Back to the Tracker and a big oops. While sanding the wing airfoil shape I broke the spar. Hence I decided to just notch the nacelle rather than make a spar at the attachment point.

Lou

lastvautour

The nacelles are carved and sanded a bit before using superglue to secure them to the wing. The fix to the broken spar is the placement of a new spar. I used a small file to make the slots and once putty and sanding is done, the wings will be glued together with superglue.

Lou

lastvautour

Wood filer has been added to the top of the nacelles and will be lightly sanded to shape blending the nacelle to the wing. The same has been done to the forward area of the tail plane joint. A drop of glue has been placed on the crew cockpit window to create the bubble effect. Several coat of glue may be needed to get the desired result.

Lou

Model Maker

Looking great Lou!!

The glue bubble looks great. I would never have thought of that approach. I'm always amazed at the scale you work in for some of the models. Based upon the sections on the cutting mat, am I correct is assuming the length of the fuselage is approximately 6 cm?

lastvautour

The fuselage is 5.36 cm long. I have a scale calculator I use for all my scale measurement. Just a simple excel spread sheet. This one is in inches, but it is easy to convert to cm. I enter the 1/1 data as inches or centimeters and the formula does the rest.

The glue drop is Barry's idea.

Lou

lastvautour

A few swipes with 250 grit paper sorts things out. Close up photos show the requirement for addition putty and another few swipes.

Lou

lastvautour

Search light is 1/6 dowel found at the local fabric store  craft section. It still needs a bit of sanding but things are coming along fine. Next will be the undercarriage.

Lou

lastvautour

Just to show what sealer I am using this time. Also note the port nacelle forward joint is not yet puttied. Actually it was but on clocer examination I found the nacelle had been incorrectly positioned, so I relocated it.

Lou

buccfan

Well executed recovery work Lou, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Undercarriage started with sanded dowel wheels and straight pin struts.

Lou

lastvautour

A quick coat of sealer before light sanding and assembly.

Lou