• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This is your build and no keeping up needed, When you are ready we will move on to other things. As for not being satisfied and redoing parts, that is the story of my life. I quite often go through several attempts before getting it the way I want it or as close as I can get it. Take your time.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Lou, any specific glue you would recommend?
Or will the standard woodglue be fine?

Jorrit

lastvautour

I use standard white glue myself. It is cheap and easy to get.

Lou

lastvautour

Click on the Radiator shaping videos for instructions.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

It has been a while, I did not forget about the project.
I got stuck, and then I got really busy.

I am at a point with this model that I am not sure how to move forward.
I have a couple of things that I am uncertain about.
I need to find some time to lay them out and ask specific questions.

More soon.

Thanks.

Jorrit

lastvautour

I will wait until you are ready. I have photos and videos that take me to the 95% completion mark, so whenever you are ready, I am also. Or would you prefer I continue on?

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

Thanks, please hold with new instructions until I catch up, if you dont mind.

OK, my first question is about the tailwing and the tailsection.

i made the cut like you suggested, but now I am not sure if I can glue the tailwing in place, it is still rather thick (2.8mm).
When I want to place the piece of the tailsection, there will be some space between the ends of the original section: see photo below:

Also one of my main concerns are the nacelles.
They do not "hang" over the wing like on your pics, did I neglect to carve the wing enough?
Or my shape of the nacelles are not correct?

I would be glad if you could answer my questions.

Thanks.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Look at the attached photo. I had the same situation. I removed material starting at the extreme tail end working forward so that the block would line up with the fuselage.

If it looks like the wing is still too thick, you can place the fuselage over the tail plane and draw lines on either side. This will mark the location of the fuselage on the tail wing. Now take and score the lines with the tip of your hobby knife blade and thin down the center section using the knife or chisel. This will position your tail wing higher in the fuselage when looking from the side and give you more space to place your bottom fuselage block. I can make a small video if you wish but that may take a day or two but I don't mind. Any gaps that are missing will be filled with putty later.

Lou

lastvautour

The fitting of the nacelles to the wing are the next thing we are about to tackle when you are ready.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou, I glued the tailwing to the fuselage and the radiators to the main wing.
This evening I will finish on the last parts as you described.

Looking forward to new instructions.

Thanks.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Now the nacelles must be fitted to the wing. The inner top portion of the nacelle where it mates with the wing is slanted to make the nacelle perpendicular to the top of the wing.

Photo 1
Nacelle as cut originally

Photo 2
Note angle of the materiel removed. A greater amount of wood is removed from the inner side closest to the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 & 2Insert nacelle and remove as much materiel as necessary to have the top of the nacelle level with the top of the wing. If you take too much off, we can add shims during the gluing process.

Photo 3
A look from the bottom.

Lou

Balsabasher

Those nacelles on the Mossie are such a delightful shape,when I was at school the Mosquito was my favourite drawing subject and I did hundreds of sketches for my classmates who used to form a queue in free lessons,always in demand !

Barry.

lastvautour

This is the video on Mossie nacelles. Note that the nacelles are not glued yet. I waited to make sure that if I messed one up really bad I could replace it. Click on image to view.

Lou

PS the original post mentioned additional videos. I have found out how to join them together (by accident) and how to add titles at the beginning and credits at the end. Learning something new each day!!

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,
Followed your instructions on the nacelles..
Not quite there yet, but getting there.
Please see my progress below, think I will finish this part this evening: