• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Printing I.D. WW ll aircraft plans

Started by inky, November 24, 2010, 10:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inky

I am new to the forum. I would love to be able to print the WW ll I.D. model planes to an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. My intent is to use the plans as a template. I think they are 1/72 scale. I already know that I can't simply print from the thumbnails. I seam to have run across a remark on the forum about first downloading the plans to a file on your PC using the fifth button from the left. I still have not figured out hoe to get the plans to print to size, please help me.

I have been using plans from another site, they print to 1/72 without a problem.

I am making silhouettes using the side view of the aircraft. I then add detail with a pin, then I stain th aircraft with an oak stain, and then place them in a shadow box. They are great hanging on an office wall.   

lastvautour

Welcome to the group. I normally make the image as big as possible on the site. I then just right click and do a save as to get the image on my PC. I then insert to a word doc and fiddle with it. I make a line using the drawing tool and make the line the size of the wing span. I enlarge or reduce the image until my line fits the wing span. I do the same for the fuselage. One should always measure the drawing after printing. I learned the hard way to many times that printing does things to a drawing. trial and error will get you there. What is the site for the other 1/72 scale drawings?

Lou

Oceaneer99

Our gallery is not the friendliest for PDF files, so we have the ID models as 300 dpi GIF files.  Getting those to print 100% can be an issue, though.  Although not the easiest method, here is the free method that I use: 

I usually use the open-source image editor Gimp.  First, I click on the thumbnail to get the full-size image in a separate window.  I save the image to my computer (right click on the large image and "save as").  Then I open it with Gimp and set the resolution to 300 dpi
(under Image/Scale Image/Resolution).  If you save it as a TIFF or another format that retains the dpi, it will always remember the resolution.  When you print from Gimp, you select Print and get a print settings dialog.  Under Image Settings, set the resolution to 300 dpi and click 'ignore margins' if you need to.

If you are using the Mac, the program "Graphic Converter" can do this with less pain.

We do have the ID models as PDFs and will get those on the site "someday".  Send me a message if there are some that you are particularly interested in as PDFs and I can e-mail copies to you.

Garet

R.F.Bennett

You can download Gimp Here: http://www.gimp.org/
It is the free image editor Garet spoke of.
"The Dude Abides"

inky

Thank you guys for the information on printing th WW ll I.D. model plans.

Ted