• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Scale Royal Netherlands Air Force P-51D.............(Completed 07 Oct 2014)

Started by lastvautour, September 16, 2014, 07:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Two new Mustangs on the bench. Both are P-51D/Mk IV. The major parts are cut for number one and they other is just pencil on blocks.

Lou

lastvautour

Cut out the fuselage shape and mark the center line of the fuselage and wing. In the last photo align the wing to the fuselage and mark the wing on both sides of the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Use the radiator intake as a guide to mark the rear of the wing spar. I use 16 mm as a spar. Remove the shaded areas.

Lou

lastvautour

Slowly shave the wing to make a tight fit. Note that the wing is approximately 5 mm thick but the fuselage cut is only 4 mm deep.

Lou

lastvautour

Mark both sides of the fuselage on the wing. Do a shallow cut on these lines and remove 1 mm of material or enough to make the bottom of the wing level with the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

The canopy is done in similar fashion as other models carved as part of the fuselage. The first outline was rather large, so some trimming down was required.

Lou

lastvautour

I am hoping to give these images justice. The roundel is from Wikipedia and the profile from Wings Palette.

Lou

lastvautour

The lower forward fuselage is marked and carved. Initial sanding has begun.

Lou

lastvautour

Grey primer first coat.

Lou

Biggles

Nice! how many mustangs do you have in your fleet?
John 15:13

lastvautour

This will be the 5th 1/72 scale. I have one 1/32 and one 1/144 scale versions. I also have 10 built up and 5 in the box plastic models in various scales.

Lou

lastvautour

Silver applied.

Lou

lastvautour

Exhaust stacks for P-51 and HE-111.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out occurred at 10 AM this morning. The Royal Netherlands Air Force  id one of the simplest schemes to do with little other than a black spinner and anti glare panel. ID numbers and letters sizes and styles varied from aircraft to aircraft. Some drawings show the same markings being different sizes. I selected the larger sizes (?) with stencil font.

Loi

Will

Lou,
It may be a simple colour scheme but it shows the lines of the P-51 well.   Congratulations on another excellent model.
Will