• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Carving tips

Started by Pete1616, November 18, 2015, 08:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1616

As I approach, with reluctance, the end of my wood carving years, the thought occurred to me that we all have knowledge and experience that should be passed on.

Perhaps a site could be established for members to share ideas and tips/solutions that we've learned over the years.

As an example, when I started carving wood (around 1993) I used the cardboard from cereal boxes to make patterns to trace on the wood prior to band sawing. Then my wife a "sometimes" quilter, showed mw some sheets of opaque plastic sheet used for making quilting patterns. I've used them since. I now have two filing cabinet drawers full of patterns and plans. No idea what to do with them!

Anyway, I believe this site would be a learning place for newer carvers, questions could be asked, Ideas could be shared etc.....

Any comments pro or con?.......Pete
Pete1616

lastvautour

Pete1616

Thinking about tips that I learned "the hard way".....When I started carving aircraft I used 1/8" dowling to hold the wings etc while the glue dried. then, in a flash in inspiration, I started using finishing nails, various sizes and cutting the heads off. When It came to really thin pieces, I raided my wife's quilting stuff again and used the pins, again cutting the heads off....you can even use a pin in a chuck to drill the hole. I'm working on a F104 and will use this technique for the wings and tail.
Pete1616