• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Canadair Sabre Mk 5............................... (Completed 17 July 2014)

Started by lastvautour, May 25, 2014, 06:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Blame Ray for my infatuation with the Sabre. This one will be a Mk 6 with the all flying tail and the 6-3 wing. Drawing are from http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/

Lou

Biggles

lovely plane, one of my favorites.
John 15:13

lastvautour

I still recall seeing them coming in over my house at about 200 ft of altitude. It was inspirational.

Lou

lastvautour

Parts are progressing as the model is based on the Strombecker parts breakdown but sized to the Mk 6 version.

Lou

lastvautour

The horizontal stab has been glued and putty has been applied. The starboard wing is awaiting for the glue to dry before moving to the port wing. One major difference from the Strombecker kit is the upper rear fuselage where the flying tail is assembled to the fairing.

Lou

lastvautour

I may turn this one into a Mk-5. The only difference was the wing fence instead of the slats. The enlarged wing was fitted to both.

Lou

lastvautour

The previous silver paint was removed, additional sanding completed, gloss pewter grey used to find defects and Krylon bright silver applied. First look seems OK. Left it to cure a bit before handling and looking closer.

Lou

Biggles

looking good. I have always wanted to find some good spray paint but it is hard to find in south Australia. It is not urgent as it was only to replase the tiring hand painting of under cotes.
Biggles
John 15:13

cliff strachan

As Biggles has said: "Looking good," Lou. And perhaps Spray Paint may be my answer to paint problems but I think I'll wait 'till Lou finishes painting - especially the black portions of his F86 - until I decide.

Cliff.

buccfan

Great progress Lou, it would appear that silver is a hard paint colour to apply, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I have always had problems with metallic finishes. The canopy frame will be black as well as the anti glare panel.

Lou

lastvautour

Canopy frame and anti glare panel. Decals are drying.

Lou

Note, this has been modified to a Mk 5

lastvautour

I have several pictures of Mk 5 operating from CFB Chatham in the mid to late 60s and no one match the other as far as painting scheme. So I just picked one at random. This is the only version that has the entire stabilizer painted red.

Lou

lastvautour

The RCAF Sabre Mk 5 number 23354 operated out CFB Chatham. Sabre flew there up to 1968. Panel lines and control surfaces are home made decal stripes. Roll out occurred at 1600 hrs local time.

Lou

Mark Braunlich