• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Novice Tutorial

Started by lastvautour, April 21, 2023, 10:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Jim, I feel your tutorial would greatly benefit novice builders and that would include me. Those basic skills are what is needed. Your mastery of biplanes is unequalled in SMM.

Lou

Jim

You're very kind, Lou. And inasmuch as you and Barry and others here were good enough to offer your knowledge up to me and others like me here over the years, I guess maybe I do owe you a debt of gratitude. So I'll say, sure, if it's really what you want, I'll try my hand at doing a biplane tutorial.  But it'll have to wait until after I finish my current project — a German Hannover CL-II two-seater — which is an especially challenging build by virtue of its configuration and markings, and likely will take me a good deal of time to complete. Once I put that project to bed I'll see what I can do by way of a tutorial on a relatively simple and straightforward biplane, perhaps a Nieuport 17. I should forewarn you however not to expect anything as elegant or detailed in presentation as the treatises already laid out by you, Fraser and others. If that's acceptable, I'll go forward. And if any of you have suggestions for me that'll help get me through the process, I'd be grateful...
jim
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Tutorial are created to assist a novice builder attain his or her first solid wood model. This does not precluded other modellers from availing themselves of the materiel provided.

For the new builder: http://Please ask questions if any instruction is not clear to you and remember we were all there at one point in our hobby career.

Tutorial submission:

Step 1: The first topic should contain the word "Tutorial - followed by the subject being carved.

Step 2: A clear statement of the objectives, the scale of your build and material you intend to use in the completion of the model.

Step 3: The first order of business is to select the drawing you are using and provide a link to where you secured the drawings. Attaching the image to the post would be acceptable.

Step 4: Each step you take is to be clearly stated and photos attached for each and every step. A view of previously posted tutorial may be used as a guide.

Step 5: photos should be clear and taken from several angles if required to illustrate what is asked of the new builder. Arrows and comments directly on the image can be very useful.

Please keep in mind that the new builder may not have ever used a saw or a hobby knife, so clarity is of utmost importance.

So, sharpen your blades and enjoy.

Lou