• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Welcome Rick aka Ltrick

Started by lastvautour, October 04, 2017, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have been in contact with Rick. here are his comments.

Hi Lou, my first name is Rick. The ltrick portion of my login is short for Lieutenant Rick as I retired as a lieutenant from my former law enforcement agency. I am a pure beginner to model making. I've never done it. But I have quite a bit of woodworking experience and some metal working experience. I haven't started making a model yet as I wanted to find out what the best wood to use is, what specialty tools are needed et cetera. Tutorials on the site would be fine. I haven't really used a forum before so I am sure there will be a learning curve.

I look forward to getting started.

Thanks for your kind and helpful email.

Sincerely,

Rick

Join me in welcoming Rick to our flock.

Flying T

HI  RICK. I HAVE DONE MODELS IN MY YOUTH AND YEAR AGO I JUMPED IN.
THERE IS A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE HERE.LOOK AROUND.SEE MY TOPIC-
AIRCRAFT IN MINATURE. THE SITE HAS A VERY GOOD CHART,TOO.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

FlyingS

Welcome LtRick. I also have just started carving SW airplanes. For tools I think you can start with a large and small exacto knife and or a good pocket knife with a couple different size blades. I used different size and shape files (check local hardware store) I find there are a half dozen files I always go to. And of course sandpaper. Once you get a little experience you can add to your tool collection.
I just recently bought a small belt sander and 10" band saw.
I like basswood but I have to order it on line. But to start get some 5/4 pine (smooth pieces with less grain). I have used pretty much any kind of wood I can get my hands on. I find some types of pine boards have hard and soft grain can be more difficult to carve. Best thing is just get started and and enjoy the hobby.
Also there is no best one way. I have learned a lot form the people on this site, they represent a huge collection of talent and experience.

Model Maker

Hi Rick

Welcome to the site!! You are in good hands as there is a great deal of knowledge on the site and lots of advice from the contributors.. I started carving solids a couple of years ago and the support and input from the site members has been great.

Believe it or not, your question on tools is not a simple one. Based upon my limited experience the tools required depend on the scale / size of models you wish to create. I typically work on 1/32 scale models which for many aircraft generate a fuselage length of 12 - 15 inches and wing spans of 14 -18 inches. On larger aircraft I may work to a smaller scale (1/48 or 1/72) but with the intent of keeping the model size in the 12-15 inch fuselage and 14-18 inch wing span ranges. I am not a prolific carver, and tend to give most of my carvings away.  At these sizes storage space becomes a critical factor.

Many folks on the site work to smaller scales than I do and I am truly amazed at the smaller sizes which they create.

The reason I mention the topic of scale is that it will impact the tools which you may wish to use. For smaller sizes, knives (carving or exacto) are appropriate for a large amount of the material removal along with a straight chisel. On the larger sizes, chisels and files may be more appropriate. I have gravitated to using flat files for most of my fuselage shaping along with some round files for fillets, etc. Other site members also use files in lieu of chisels & knives. For wings I typically use a small block plane and a flat chisel for shaping etc.

Not sure of your power tool status. If you have access to a band saw or saber saw you are off and running for rough shaping. But assuming you don't have access to either, I've listed a few items below for consideration based upon the model dimensions above.

- 1/2" with optional 3/4" flat chisel. - Buy good ones as they keep a sharp edge which makes life enjoyable. I like shorter length ones from a control perspective and have found the Dewalt's to be a nice length, a good fit in the hand and good steel to keep a sharp edge. But there are lots of other good manufacturers.
- A couple of rough flat files (but not rasps). My preferred lengths are 8" and 10".
- A couple of round files 1/8" and maybe a rat tail which is tapered.
- A low angle block plane for shaping wings (a flat chisel can be used in lieu of the plane for shaping wings). I use both - the plane and a chisel. The plane also comes in handy to shave down a piece of wood for rudders and elevators.  The low angle block plane cuts easier than a standard block plane due to the lower blade angle.
- If you don't have access to a band saw or saber saw you will require a saw for shaping.  Possibly a coping saw and a combination (rip / cross cut) saw
- A razor saw. - The fine teeth work great on thin material

A couple of other items for consideration
- A leather strop plus honing compound to keep a sharp edge on the chisels / plane blade.
- Consider making a bench hook if you don't have one. There are some plans under the "Tools" section of the main menu. These are great work stabilizers and usually made from wood scraps.
- If you will be hand painting a few good quality paint brushes.

Other things you will buy / make
- sandpaper
- sanding blocks from scrap wood of various shapes

After that the sky is the limit. But the above should get you off and running and hopefully enjoying making some solids.

Looking forward to seeing your first model -ken

Ltrick2011

Hello all, thanks for all the positive comments. Appreciate all the support. I have many of the tools all of you have mentioned so that is a relief. Plugging away and hope to have something suitable to post in the near future.

Rick

johnnytodd

Hi Rick and welcome!

I prefer to work with Basswood - available at most hobby shops.  Tool-wise,  I don't use any chisels rather I glue a belt sander belt (coarse) to a board 1x3x24", then I drag my object along removing material with each pass. Oh and I can't be without my dial calipers!

John

Flying T

plastic vs wood?  finding lots of info on the plastic kit plans for a lot of detail.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)