• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/60 Nakajima Ki-43 -II Oscar Started 13th May 20 Completed 21 JUNE 2020

Started by Boomerang, May 20, 2020, 01:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

This is where the Oscar is at present.

Planning to paint it up as per the picture. Presents a bit of a challenge with how to do it.

Tail decal done. Just got to resize the wing and fuselage ones.

I plan to have the undercarriage lowered and am contemplating a plunge molded canopy ( contemplating is the word).

I've done the wheels out of balsa dowel strengthened with super glue. I will make the legs up out of brass rod. U/c covers have been done out of thin plasti card. Spinner done by hand using a piece of pine dowel.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

I had to look twice at the picture. The model looked like it was part of the artwork on the book. Keep us informed on the plunge canopy technique; sounds interesting.
Fraser

lastvautour

Looking forward to the completed model. I see a French Oscar?  Another VE Day project.

Lou

buccfan

Boomerang

Thanks Paul and Lou.

I did toss up with the French one. I am going with the main picture . The dapple presents a challenge but that's half the fun.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Progressing along.

Working on undercarriage .

Pictures to follow

Stay Safe

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Where the Oscar is at.

Undercarriage done from brass rod, solder , painters tape and insulation from wire garden tie.
the painted one has had a coat of white primer, mixture of gun metal and silver applied with brush. top coat of spray bare aluminium.

Engine gouged out

Cheers
Gordon

Gearup

Interesting. How does the wire tie insulation fit in?

lastvautour

Boomerang

On the picture of the undercarriage legs the wire tie insulation is the black bits. Between them is a strip of painters tape.
The bottom of the leg was built up with solder and filed to shape. The hinge is small diameter brass tube bent and squashed. Super glued in place

Hope this clarifies .

Cheers
Gordon

buccfan

Boomerang

Thank You Paul.

Started throwing a bit of paint around and put some details on the wings.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Where Oscar is at.....

Started putting it together.

I am not going to try and make a canopy this time.

Tail wheel done using brass rod and small diameter insulated wire for tyre.
Main wheels done. Drop tanks done out of 8mm pine dowel . Propeller completed . Just have to mix up some red/brown for the blades.
Navigation lights built up with layers of Tamiya primer ( out of the bottle).

The wing and fuselage stripes are still masked off from another layer of green.

Tail plane yet to be attached. I've worked out a method to do the mottle ( thank you Internet).
Decals drying.

Shouldn't be too long before it is finished.

Cheers

Gordon

buccfan

lastvautour