• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Bristol Blenheim Mk1f Started 10 OCT 2019 Finished 19 APR 2020

Started by Boomerang, October 11, 2019, 02:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

I am leaning towards gear down . Thanks Fraser.
I found the airfix Blenheim MkIV kit I had . It was sealed (got it years ago) . Opened it up and some of the sprues are missing.
No cockpit floor seat or pilot and no wheels .  The propellers seem a bit large.
I'll stick bits and pieces in a bits box for later and junk the rest.

I'll work out the Observers round seat and paint it up and leave it at that. I think I will leave modifying the 1/72 British Infantry Zulu War into aircrew till another time.
So I'll make up a set of U/c legs and turn up up /make up some wheels.
Then to the turret.

You do quality work Lou.

Pictures to follow

cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Cockpit progress . Nothing is glued yet.

The small item in front of the cockpit is the observers seat which folds up on starboard side.
The overhead shot shows the arrangement.

Dry fitting and thinking things through is a good idea . In order to glue the observers seat in I will have to attach the wing first.

Started on turret and undercarriage

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Thanks Lou,

Pushing on slowly. Adding all the extras adds a bit more time before its completed.
Still small challenges are good for the mind they reckon.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Pushing along when time permits.
There are two small windows to the near of the canopy . What I've done with these is fill them with PVA.
Seems to work .
Sorting bits for the undercarriage.

Gordon

Boomerang

I've managed to sort some furniture out for the turret.
The Vickers K gun is from brass tube, copper wire and a match stick. The magazine is a small disc of plastic sheet cut out using sharpened brass tube.

The two small windows I spoke about before are behind the cockpit near the tape.

On to the undercarriage next.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Enjoying the progress! Keep the pictures and info coming. Thanks.
Fraser

Boomerang

Undercarriage started .

Aluminium tube and brass rod and tube. Cover is styrene sheet. Curved shape molded round a suitable sized brass tube . taped and plunged into near boiling water and then cooled . Seemed to work OK.

Nothing glued yet. Wheels from a ply disc and balsa cut with a sharpened brass tube.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

Bristol certainly had a different idea on the configuration of the gear doors!  They must have had an immediate effect on the airspeed when extended???? Very interesting modeling of the gear..
Regards
Fraser

Boomerang

That was the case . A few years ago there was and RC plan around . Had retracts and when lowered did act as speed brakes.

Turret finished but not glued in place. Cockpit finished . Canopy still requires a bit more work. Undercarriage is done but not glued in place.
I will use the tail wheel , antenna and venturi from the kit. Might also use the breather intakes on the engines as well.
Thinking about the Landing , nav and formation lights.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

I've done the decals . Finally managed to get a good print for the roundels . I'll seal them today and see what tomorrow brings.
Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Cockpit done. Propellers cleaned up. decals being applied. The clear squadron codes wouldn't settle down had to use some micro sol. Still need to touch up further with paint.
I haven't stuck the undercarriage as yet. I'll leave that till I stop having to wave it around.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

The visible cockpit really sets it off. Nicely done Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

Thanks Lou,

Well its finished. I've decided not to do the landing,formation ,nav lights and the aerial.

I've used the tailwheel, venturi and mast from the kit.

Cheers

Gordon