• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Bristol Blenheim Mk1f Started 10 OCT 2019 Finished 19 APR 2020

Started by Boomerang, October 11, 2019, 02:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Engines are still separate decided to do everthing needed before attaching to the rest of it.
Getting the cockpit shape right before cutting it off to put the vac form one on.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Blisters done with polyfiller mixed with a bit of PVA and acrylic paint( so I can see what it is doing).

Cowlings cleaned out with rotary tool and using the same mix as above cylinders put in,

Exhausts from garden wire.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I like what I see. I never thought of vacuuming the front end. With all that glass it will be spectacular.

Lou

Boomerang

Spent yesterday shaping the nose to match the the vac form canopy.

Moment of truth will occur shortly after a final eyeball of lines etc... The turret fits. Just have to work out how to fill it up.

Cheers
Gordon

lastvautour

Looking forward to the vacuum form glass front.

Lou

Boomerang

Progress so far.

The trick with vac form is slow and steady and check. ( thank you Youtube).

Not to bad so far . I've got an old airfix Blenheim MkIV somewhere so I'll dig that out and get some seat sizes etc.

If this works out I've got a set to suit a 1/72 Whitley which may come later down the track.
The blue tac in the picture helps with holding the shape and also aids in finding it if I drop it.

Cheers
Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

What Is the material used?  Looking good and it's going to add a new dimension to the model.
Fraser

Boomerang

Blue Tac removed from upper canopy part . The lower part still has blu tac on it so I can't lose it.
The VAC FORM is from a few sets I picked up at a model show swap and sell for a few dollars.

They would be from Falcon Clearvac set number 8 RAF Bombers- I also have the 1/72 Whitley set.

Pretty happy with it all so far. Need to thin the fuselage walls down a bit. The white filler is just to blend it a bit better to the fuselage.

Any clues on removing minor scratches would be appreciated.

Now all I have to do is make up some cockpit and turret furniture.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Great work Gordon. I will have to get off my butt and start doing a bit more than the ID model.

Lou

Gearup

To remove scratches try toothpaste as a rubbing compound.  A good friend I have once had to blend out a nasty scratch in the canopy of a full size Pitts Special. It took some time but the scratch disappeared!

Fraser

Boomerang

Scratches have been reduced using Frasers toothpaste recommendation.
I added a small amount of Gumption ( a kitchen cleaning paste) which worked OK . It is abrasive so care is needed.

Cleaned up the cockpit area and have given it a coat of green ( its the closest I have available to interior green).

Currently working on seat, propellers etc..,

I am pondering whether to make up the undercarriage or leave it up.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

What has been achieved so far.

Used various thicknesses of plastic sheet. Have had to make a few guesses.

There is a couple of fold up round seats to go in yet . I've done them out of plastic and have cut them out using a home made hole cutter ( brass tube )

Looking at the picture a bit more cleaning up is required.

Pondering whether to do the undercarriage down or up.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Details looking great in the cockpit. Love the control wheel. Landing gear has always fascinated me; i'd Go for gear down.

Fraser

lastvautour

Awesome cockpit details. Also, your cowling blisters turn out much better than mine. I will have to up my game.

Lou