Monthly PING!              536
Ken's Projects              234
BalsaBasher's Board      182
Model Of the Year      150
Questions About use.      147
Garet's Projects              141
Olli's Project board               135

Gallery stats
5,360 files in 280 albums and 16 categories with 691 comments viewed 602,347 times

lastvautour

I know it's July and the sunny beaches beckon.  Regardless, let hear from you. Just a word of encouragement on a completed project, or your 2 cents worth on one on the bench. We need some more chatter.

My current situation:

4 acres of lawn to cut
1/24 DHC-2 Beaver  (Painting)
1/32 Canadair F-86 Sabre (Awaiting time share)
1/32 Republic F-84 Thunderjet ( Carving)
1/32 AVRO CF-100 Canuck (Awaiting time share)
1/48 Canadair CP-107 Argus (Sanding)
1/72 Canadair CC-106 Yukon (Sanding)
1/72 DH-106 Comet (Carving- assembly)
AirToon F-18 (Carving)
1/144 HMCS Bonaventure (Sanding hull)

Lou

Boomerang

Greetings,

Posted a couple of paintings I did some years ago.Following on from Barrys theme.

Picture and comments of project status in my board.

Finally got a copy of a drawing that I had been looking for for years. Scaled up and work started.

Lou , you're place looks quite picturesque.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Nice to hear from you Gordon. Finding those illusive drawings can be a great joy. I finally found some decent DH-106 Comet Mk 1 and started the build.

lou

Balsabasher

Goodness me its July already ! this past month has been spent mostly finishing off some models to get them into the folder,my current work status is as follows-

1/ Miles Gemini solid model elements,this has been strung up from the ceiling out of the way,everything has been sealed ready for paint when I get around to it,bottom cowls have been cut and formed from litho sheet.
2/ Avro Anson large scale planned,drawings in preparation.
3/ Heath Parasol-delivered to appreciative new owner.
4/ PBY Catalina 1=72nd scale parts cut out,not touched as yet.
5/ Westland Lysander,no wood cut as yet,templates drawn and cut.
6/ Bell Airacobra,templates cut,on hold.
7/ Comper Swift, 'Long distance flight cookup' still in grey primer awaiting paint.
8/ Jet Provost T.3,Commission to replace one that was stolen,to be used for training purposes on jet aircraft instruction.
9/ Jet Provost T.3,Model 2 also to 1=27th scale.
10/ Tipsy Trainer ( Belfair ) projected.
11/ Meteor T.7 Projected large scale.
12/ Planet Satellite projected.
13/ Helmy Aerogypt,Projected.

Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, that looks like a full schedule. Try to get some sleep in there.

lou

Balsabasher

I forgot to say Lou,what a lovely place that you have there,your lawn is beautiful and must take a bit of upkeep.

Sleep ? what is that,I manage to grab 5 hours these days.

Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, I look forward to rain so I can sneak downstairs to play. Just finished test fitting the tail feathers on the Comet and they can out great. Pictures to follow later in the week.

lou

buccfan

That is a nice place you have there Lou, is you workshop where the garage door are?, I've just been looking at Greenwood on Google satellite maps,looks like a great place to live, I would like it just for the fact you have the aircraft flying from the base.Regards Paul.

lastvautour

Paul, they fly the Aurora (USN P-3 Orion), the Hercules and the Cormorant SAR helo. F-18s come to visit every now and then and I even saw PBY Catalina last year along with some French Etendars. They had their carrier parked a few miles of land. My workshop is in the basement but my big tools are in the garage. Table saw, scroll saw, disc/belt sander, chop saw, planer, grinder and rooter are all bench mounted. My band saw and drill press are in the basement for ready use.

Barry, the maintenance of the lawn takes a couple of half days a week. Since there is always heavy dew, mornings are usually always mine to do as I please.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou, Indeed a nice spread you have. Certainly a place to just doze off. Looking forward to photos in the "other season".
Cliff.

lastvautour

You may notice Solid Model Memories L making comments. That is my alter ego.

Lou

cliff strachan

I feel that I'm sticking my neck out a mile but here goes. In a nut shell I'm completely supportive of Lou's appeal to members to come up with a bit more chatter. We all recognize that Solid Scale is a time consuming hobby. But that in itself is probably the basic necessity that requires that a Group must depend on a bit of chatter between projects just to keep the Group going. We should not have to depend on a minority of members to always provide the enthusiasm and input.
Surely many members such as myself may qualify for being the slowest solid scale builders in our group. And just as surely many members have some well thought out opinions concerning the hobby and how it may survive and go forth. Perhaps as a start some members may have adopted unique methods or opinions as to how to adapt to the time limitations imposed on us by our hobby.
I, unlike many of our members, have through necessity been forced to approach Solid Scale from a more traditional standpoint: balsawood and x-acto knives together with even razor blades - indirectly or hopefully in an effort to encourage those members who are not fullfledged wood carvers with all the necessary tools at hand. Surely some others will have similar ideas that we can all benefit from - if only to profit from the "chatter" required.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Some valid points Cliff,I always think that despite being a set procedure ie marking out templates,carving,finishing etc they are always worth photographing and discussing along the way no matter how small or insignificant the solid model task may seem,this way fellow modellers can oversee your workbench and enjoy the build as much as the actual modeller himself,I like to think from initial blank wooden block to finished article is a good way to create interest,so what I am saying is no matter how little is done to a model please show us the build stages because I know that I am not alone in enjoying someones work and how it is done along the way,photograph the shavings alongside,leave your tools as they are being used and do not be shy in showing us a working well used and scarred workbench,thats the way people like it !
And if you have any hints and tips or even requests on how things are done,please fire away,this is one sure way of getting the chat going,never be afraid to ask as this way we all learn even how to do the simplist of tasks in a better way.
Barry.

lastvautour

Had to make a quick run to my local lumber yard. Not much in the way of clear pine but I did manage to get some small pieces of pine at a reduced cost of $7.00 CDN.  I chose those pieces with as little imperfections  as possible and made out pretty good.

Lou