• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

January 2013 Ping!

Started by lastvautour, January 01, 2013, 05:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

All hands on deck for the new year. I counted 71 models in the 2012 photo post. Lext see if we can best that in 2013.
Here are the stats:

The Gallery           6,677 files in 311 albums and 17 categories with 720 comments viewed 1,343,442 times

The Forum           
Total Members:                         284
Total Posts:                             9355
Total Topics:                             899
Total Categories:                          9
Total page views:               1744560

Top Ten Boards

Cook-ups and Group Builds           1651
General Discussion                       1563
Lou's Projects                              1372
Monthly PING!                               768
BalsaBasher's Board                       598
Ken's Projects                                285
Mark Braunlich's Board                   231
Model Of the Year                          203
What The. . . ?                              178
Officer's Lounge                             171

Top Ten Topic by Replies

Air-Toons                                                  224
HMCS Bonaventure 1/144                          124
Continuation of the P-40 Group Build           111
WWII ID Models                                        107
Where should I start - A Spitfire ID Model    107
Long Distance Flights Cook-Up                     91
Century jets cookup                                    85
Air-Toons                                                   84
"Flower Class Corvette"                               82
F-18 AirToon Tutorial                                  79

Top Ten Topics by views

HMCS Bonaventure 1/144                                                           8417
WWII ID Models                                                                         7664
Flying Boat Cook Up                                                                    6131
The Box Project                                                                          5994
Air-Toons                                                                                   5511
New plan Posted                                                                         5032
An International Build                                                                  4864
A beginner's guide to solid models - Convair Charger                     4862
Progress Reports                                                                        4678
Century jets cookup                                                                    4631

Happy New Year to all.

Lou

Balsabasher

Hello my fellow solid model builders and thank you for all of your good wishes during my health blips in 2012 which has kept me away from my workbench for longer than I can remember ? the biggest heartache for 2012 however was having to make the decision to put my dear wife of some 46 years marriage into a care home following her spiralling dementia,as you can imagine it was no easy decision but it had to be done,the outcome is now she is lovingly cared for in a professional manner and better still safer in many ways.
Also having moved into my cosy new home here just before Christmas out in the sticks in the UK after a lot of hard graft it has certainly been worth it,my back door looks across beautiful rolling countryside right on top of an hill,its just beautiful and inspirational already making me reach for my canvas and painting materials to paint such wonderful landscapes !
So what now ?,well the plan is to get back into solid model production by the spring equinox,already two Avro Anson's are well on the way towards completion as the odd hour or so spent on them has kept my mind busy and active,as long as I can move my arthritic ridden hands to cut shapes then models will be made.
There was a mention here of some of my models appearing on EBay,this was a combination of events which was met by demand for my models by private collectors and museums wordlwide due to a dealer purchasing a few models early last year,the said sales have hardly left a dent in the collection and the voids can be easily filled anyway with my collection of templates for everything built,the sales also enabled me to invest in some more useful equipment including an industrial fret machine of superb quality that utilises virtually any type of blade available on the market,its a great bit of kit that will not be idle for long,it has lain in a garage for 18 years untouched and was a chance happening as these things evolve,it has gone to a good home where it will be used,already it has been serviced and oiled in readiness.
So its onwards and upwards for 2013,I really think this is going to be a great year for us all and I look forward to cutting more wood soon for some new exciting projects many of which as far as I am aware never been built as solid models before ?
Meanwhile I would like to wish you all a very Happy New year and hope that it will bring good health and happiness to you all.
And finally a thank you to my good friend Merlin who has worked so hard to keep you all informed of my developments,he has done a sterling job.
So thats my somewhat unusual ping for January 2013 !
Kind Regards to you all,Barry aka Balsabasher.

Ken Pugh

Barry,

My heart lept to see your post.  Welcome back.  I, too, thank Merlin for assisting you through this tough time.

Regards,
Ken

lastvautour

Barry, it is so good to be able to hear from you and that you are on the mend. I personally prize your friendship and on the day of your mishap, prior to being informed of it, I had posted a picture of HMS Barry Clay. It was built specifically to honour you and your contribution to SMM. The original post is at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=982.0

A grateful friend, Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Barry. Glad to have you back. All seems to be going well for you now and I think I can speak for the SMM Group in wishing you continual success. All look forward to your Solid Model Creations - especially of those aircraft that we are less likely to ever come across.

Cliff.

buccfan

Great to see you back Barry, and wish you a speedy return to full throttle. Thanks again to Merlin for keeping us up to date with your progress, looking forward to seeing your work again. Best regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Lou thats amazing ! what a delightful model that bears my name and I feel deeply honoured that you have created it,to everyone who has given me such a wonderful warming welcome back all I can say is thank you,thank you,thank you.
With so many new plans available it is time to decide what wants building this year as solid models,the warmer spring weather cannot come quick enough together with the longer days,its really great to be back amongst the fold with real model builders.
Barry.
My new e-mail that replaces all of the others is- (ask me for the details) with the move I have lost the others that I had for years,I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for SMM because of this so perhaps admin can ammend the details ?

buccfan

Barry, I would recommend that you remove your email address from your post as it could be used for sending email by spammers.  I would suggest a PM to whoever you want to have it .Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Never thought of that Paul,duly ammended,thank you.
Barry.

Peter

Hello Barry,

Your post has made our New Years a happy one! Welcome home!

Peter

Will

My New Year resolution is to complete some Solid Models.  However tonight I have a date with two blondes (10 & 12) and some Airfix Gnats, so the balsa will have to wait a few days...

Barry, I'm pleased to see you're back again.

Best Wishes All for 2013.

Will

lastvautour

I have started the collage for the SMM 2012 model builds. I await Jim's PBY photo and any others I may have missed.

Lou

lastvautour

Here is my last years list for Jan 2012:

1/350 Scale Flower Class Corvette - This will be an ID Fleet model and will be totally painted sea grey
1/144 Scale De Havilland Canada Buffalo/Canadian Forces CC-115 - Will be painted to represent the Buff show down on UN Duty
1/144 Scale Gloster Meteor Mk 7 - as flown by RCAF 421 Squadron in 1950. These aircraft were on loan from the RAF.
1/48 Scale Canadair Argus RCAF CP-107 - Currently working on fillets.
1/32 Scale Canadair Sabre Mk 5/6 - on shelf

Along with the 1/144 Bonnie, things are the same for the Argus and the Sabre. I am trying to come up with a to do list but I think I may just go with what appeals at the time. A set of 1/48 scale drawings have been printed for an MB339 in Frecce Tricolori aerobatic team colours. Anyone up to re-openning the aerobatic group build???

Lou

Jim

Good to see you back in harness, Barry!

First project of the new year is a Stuka.

Second one, as promised to the daughter, is a T-38 Talon. She's on a NASA kick right now...

After that, I think I want to go back and do another ship model.

Beyond that, well...

jim
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Greetings All,

Didn't finish anything on the list for 2012. The Buhl Pup was treated as quick build and was enjoyable.
  For 2013 I'll continue with the C-30 . Its nearly done . Not happy with first run of decals. I'll post some pics of the work on the rotor 
  head .
  The DH5 , CH1 and Flycatcher will be finished this year. I'll also revisit the CA-15 and Delanne 20T.

Have stated a birthday present for my son ( another Gloster) which is  occupying what spare time I get at the moment.

Wishing you all the very best for 2013.

Cheers
  Gordon