• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

October 2012 Ping

Started by lastvautour, October 03, 2012, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The gallery is getting lots of viewers.
6,550 files in 308 albums and 17 categories with 719 comments viewed 1,226,681 times

The forum is also doing well with visitors, however most are from a site in China.
Total Members:   281
Total Posts:   9045
Total Topics:   877
Total Categories:   9
Users Online:   26
Most Online:   73 - July 24, 2012, 07:35:38 AM
Online Today:   59
Total page views:   1587997

Members' Posts
lastvautour      2838
Balsabasher      1227
Oceaneer99      747
cliff strachan   521
R.F.Bennett      435
Ken Pugh      381
Mark Braunlich   330
Peter              239
buccfan      212
K_mars      138

Popular topics by replies

Air-Toons                                                              224
Continuation of the P-40 Group Build                      111
WWII ID Models                                                      107
Where should I start - A Spitfire ID Model                      107
HMCS Bonaventure 1/144 Scale Started 1 April 2008      102
Long Distance Flights Cook-Up                              91
Century jets cookup                                              85
Air-Toons                                                              84
"Flower Class Corvette"                                              82
F-18 AirToon Tutorial                                              79

Popular topics by views

HMCS Bonaventure 1/144 Scale Started 1 April 2008      7496
WWII ID Models                                                      6941
Flying Boat Cook Up                                              5805
The Box Project                                                      5526
New plan Posted                                                      4900
Air-Toons                                                              4820
Century jets cookup                                              4334
A beginner's guide to solid models - Convair Charger      4328
Progress Reports                                                      4270
An International Build                                              4261

Keep your blade sharp.

Lou

Boomerang

Greetings All,

Update added in my board as to where my gliders and Buhl Pup are at.

Haven't forgotten the CH 1, Flycatcher , C-30 or DH -5

Weather is warming up over here.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Oct bench report:

1/48 - Argus some sanding of filets being carried out.
1/72 - 2 C-47/DC-3 Dakotas anticipate roll out before month's end
1/144 - one to two hours a day being allotted to hull side opening. Anticipate starting work on catwalks before end of the month.
Working on an enlarged display area continues

Lou

lastvautour

Will

Quote from: lastvautour on October 20, 2012, 05:02:54 PM
Will, those are nice photos you posted.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=111

Lou

Thanks Lou, I just got copies of the two catalogues of the Christie's sales for Mr. Doylends work and thought I'd share.  There were 100 lots in each sale.  The 2nd catalogue gives prices of the first sale, most lots were 3-6 small planes and sold for a few hundred pounds (which seems both impressive and fair), but some of the larger planes were in individual lots and went even higher, the Brabazon being lot 100 was the highlight of the February sale and raised 3300 pounds (around 5000 US dollars).

The models were built between 1935 and 1990 according to the dates on each lot, Mr. Doylend died in 1992.  Some of the last planes he built were both modern jets and WW1 era biplanes and all look to be built in the style of his 1957 book with the jets having solid perspex canopies.  I wonder where they all are now, hopefully safe enough since people bid serious cash for them in 1994.

I tried to add a bit more info when I uploaded the pictures but the website went pear-shaped when I hit the save changes button. :-\

Cheers
Will

cliff strachan

Hi Marsh, Will and Barry. I'm not sure exactly whom I'm supposed to address my sincere appreciation for the magazine covers that have been posted but, regardless, they have been a great source of inspiration. Especially the cover illustration of the famous HP-42 Hercules Aircraft. Incidentally, The Aeroplane Mag of Jan. 2002 had a fine article and 3views of this aircraft in their Data Base section. And, may I add, an equally fine subject for a build - in the Long Distance or other portion of our Cookups.

Cliff

1.JaVA_LGorrit

It has been ages since I worked on my profile airplane models :-(
Lack of inspiration I would call it.

Instead I am making boomerangs for the moment with my fretsaw.
Of course I am painting the boomerangs with old military style paintschemes.

Will post a picture of the "CAC Boomerang" I am working on right now.

lastvautour

Welcome back. Look forward to the photos.

Lou

cliff strachan

I feel that I should endeavour to partake in SMM's Ping exercise. It will at least show that I'm still around.
While I'm  contemplating moving - I've gotten rid of 76 years of National Geographic Magazines which is a start -I'm in the thinking process with respect to planning the following models:
         - A Tiger Moth :scale decided but how much detail to include not yet determined. Hope to include a more or less step by step photo description of process involved.
         - A Lockheed L10. Have 3views to 1/72 scale. And some photos for my in-air background shots.
         -  Lockheed 14.This aircraft and the L10, which incidentally, I was up in as a guest of my daughter several years ago, were the primary aircraft that made up the Trans Canada Airlines fleet (now Air Canada) when I was only about eight years old. I can still see the L14 coming over W/B inbound for Stevenson's Field after having bested a summer storm.
         -  Between moving and any number of other personal obligations that seem to arrive at the same time, I'm looking for a laptop computer to make decals on for the models I have briefly described.
         -  And way back in mind a model of a Handley Page HP42 - one of the most historical aircraft and most difficult to make imaginable.

Cliff.

Also, I've been considering for sometime now models of the following:
       -China Clipper from the old Comet plans;
       -Junkers 53;
       -Junkers 34;
       -Focker Universal or Super Universal.

Jim

Yup, as Cliff said, it's not a bad idea to report in from time to time...

Been working on two models, more or less simultaneously, which is a rare thing for me, as I'm NOBODY'S multi-tasker!

First is a PBY. Using the ID model plan as a starting point. Probably about 75% done at this point.

Second is a GeeBee Model Z Sportster. The Lowell Bayles plane. Hawk model plan. This one's a joint project, undertaken because my adult daughter expressed an interest in trying her hand at building a model with me during a three-week visit. Too good of a surprise to let pass! We made decent progress, but only got about 60% complete before she had to go back home. So I'm carrying on, and when she comes back for another week at Thanksgiving, I hope we can put the finishing touches on it.

And that's where we stand.

jim
And so it goes...

cliff strachan

That's a lot of work already done Jim. Hope your daughter can maintain her interest over a long period of time. Perhaps ultimately she may become member one in our female class of member in SMM. My daughter used to build WWI plastic models. But, regretably, upon reflection I believe it was primarily to bond with father. Incidentally, relative to your GeeBee I just finished a biography of Roscoe Turner which was in itself inspiring in the extreme.

Cliff.

I did a PBY way back. It's in my album. It does represent the time element involved in Solid Scale Modelling and a weakness inherent in this hobby and a factor that the Group should address.

Ken Pugh

AH1W still my only solid project.  I would say I am working on it but when I am not sure how to do something, I spend a lot of time looking at it instead of working on it.

At the same time, paper models keep dragging my attention away.  I am having a great time learning to build them when I am stuck on the whiskey cobra.

Ken Pugh