• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

ID Submarine Cook-up, anyone?

Started by Oceaneer99, February 25, 2009, 08:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Dave, I've been using basswood sheets for the sub models.

Ray, yes, these are excellent for the box project.  That's funny you should mention the box project: last weekend, I was sketching out some ideas, which would include waterline models glued to thick cards that would slide into slots in the box.

I also was sketching out a miniature airplane construction example, so starting with rough-shaped parts at one end, going through shaping and sanding, and ending up with a model that is painted and detailed on one half only so that you can see the wood parts on the other half.

Garet

Oceaneer99

Nautilus was painted black by the shipyard this evening, the color she currently is (on display at Groton).  However, the Admiral angrily pointed out photos of her early days, when she was gray topside and black below.  The shipyard sanded the paint a bit and gave her a starting coat of gray.

lastvautour

My 1/1200 submarine has been launched and proven to be seaworthy. I can't get my edges to be as sharp as Dave's and Garet's handywork.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2545

R.F.Bennett

Looks good though Lou, What kind of wood?
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

I would just like to remind those of you who have never participated in a cook-up here, or are new to us, they never end.  :o
So take your time and post when your ready, watch and learn. We want to have fun as modelers here and we want new modelers to learn and post so give it a try. If anyone gives other than good or constructive comment, I'll climb right through this puter and....  :P
So, Ya'll come back now,  ;D  :-*
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

As to never-ending cook-ups, that is very true.  There are several from years ago that I'm still allegedly working on  ;)

Nice work, Lou.  The ID models work!  I was looking through a book about WW II ships, and they had a pen drawing of a submarine on one page.  Two of my children (7 and 9 years old), said, "Look!  That's the one you made!  The Perch class, right?"

I woke up before my alarm this morning and gave the Nautilus another coat of gray.

Dave T's comment about Lou's sub being in the Caribbean got me thinking that I need a better ship background.

Garet

lastvautour

I used recycled Mahogany baseboard but the grain is just too loose for something this small. I still have bit of basswood remaining so a sister ship will be made for comparison.  The background is a 24" X 18" blue bristleboard. I also have white and will purchase other colours as they are found.

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Poplar holds a nice, sharp edge.
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Underway On Nuclear Power
--USS Nautilus, January 17, 1955

Basswood model in 1/1200 scale.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2546

lastvautour

Nice Nautilus. Please pose next to the USS Pompano for comparison. How many subs do you plan on having?

Lou

dave_t

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Lou, funny you should ask.  I took a sub rendezvous photo last night as well.  I'll post it later this evening.

Garet

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Neat photo, Lou.  I like the way your ballast tanks came out.

Garet