• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

ID Submarine Cook-up, anyone?

Started by Oceaneer99, February 25, 2009, 08:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Neat, we will have a flotilla of subs. Nice sub Dave. Mine is half way there.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Dave,  Nice work!  My final paint just dried, so I'll shoot a photo and upload today.  Garet

Oceaneer99

dave_t

Oooh, Garet I like the bevel on your Pompano. It looks a lot more realistic. It seems I didn't interpret the drawing very well. Also I said it was a Perch-class, but just read a while ago that it was Porpoise-class.

Maybe mine is from the Tuna-class. ::)

Oceaneer99

Dave, 

Tuna class!? Sorry, Charlie  :D  Very funny.

Thank you for joining the group build.  Lou tells me his is nearly finished with a sub, too.  I have to admit that this is my first waterline model to complete.

I did a panic when I saw yours, and realized that the plans didn't have enough detail to tell either way.  Then I mistakenly looked up the Perch class plans in Ray's collection, and found that it was like yours.  I found photos of the Pompano, and noticed that it didn't really match either plan.  I've decided to accept mine regardless, and yours, too.  Fortunately, it didn't take me long to build, so even if it's wrong, I could make another pretty quickly.  Plus, I imagine that most visitors to my shop aren't going to know the difference. ;)

As a result, I decided to check the plans of the USS Nautilus that I was about to start, and found that it does not match two very accurate plans I found on-line.  I've decided to draw up ID model plans based on the detailed drawings.  And I think I'll include a front-view!  :)  The Nautilus has a deck that bevels exactly the way you did yours.

Lou and I ran into the same thing with the Wickes class destroyers.  I have about four sets of plans, none of them matching photos in the Navy's historical archive!

I did get sidetracked today, as my son begged me to work on his kayak again (1/1 scale).

Garet

R.F.Bennett

They were modified and repaired and. . . The Comet Perch is barely accurate in that it's a sub with a pre-war bridge. The Wicks and Clemson classes like the YMS/BYMS  where built is such great numbers by so many shipyards. Then modified for their field of operation. I doubt you could find two identical boat of the same class in the same yard. Then each ship changed over the years. Ya just have to pick it and chip it and build to get a good idea of your subject. I Like it!  :o
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

In other words, we can't possibly get it wrong!  Or at least no one can prove whether or not we have it wrong. ;D

R.F.Bennett

Little fellas fit the box project build too...
and if anybody says they're not correct tell em to do it better  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Those darn border guards have the conning tower held up at the border. Something about not allowing weapons of minimum destruction across the US/Canada border. I may have to order from Australia.

As it stands, the lower and upper hulls are glued and drying between the runny nose, the blowing and headaches. Perhaps this evening or tomorrow will be more conducive to building.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Must be the same guys who held up the lend-lease PT boat!  Next time, we'll send a Boeing Rum-Runner boat instead (little known part of Boeing history) ;)

R.F.Bennett

Geeze! Lou, I've heard of putting blood, sweat and tears into a project  :D  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I hear that my father was a rum runner in his younger days. Perhaps he still has contacts????

Lou

Oceaneer99

We've gone nuclear.  USS Nautilus, SSN-571 is nearing completion (awaiting hull painting).  She's about the same length as the Pompano.

Garet

dave_t

Garet, what type of wood did you use on the Pompano?

R.F.Bennett

Hey Gent's, These little fella's would be great to put in your "Box"  ::)
Then you just need a ship, an airplane, a wheeled machine and a tank.
Yes Lou a Helo counts as an Airplane.  :P
"The Dude Abides"