Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I've requested the following books via interlibrary loan:

The Olympic-Class Ships by Mark Chirnside
HMHS Britannic: The Last Titan by Simon Mills

and the following from my own local library:
Titanic: the story of the great White Star Line Trio by Thomas Bonsall

The other book that might be helpful is:

Hostage to Fortune: the dramatic story of the last Olympian, HMHS Britannic by Simon Mills

but it looks like there is only one copy in any US library.  I'll try to find more information about it to decide if it is worth pursuing (it is available on Amazon).

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

This site is also quite informative on building a Britannic model.

http://www.russell.d.wild.dsl.pipex.com/obsmt/index.htm

Lou

R.F.Bennett

This fellow is Cyril Codus, He is responsible for the digital view I found of Brittanic,

http://tianic.skyrock.com/1.html

The missing t is not a typo.

I would like to contact him but I don't speak french, Anyone?  ???
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

I found some Brittanic plans.

http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/store/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnroeng8

But I can't afford these right now Gents.  :-[   Maybe in a couple of months.  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkYZeAyqP8
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Ray,  I'd recommend keeping these in mind, but waiting to see what sort of information we get on the Britannic from other sources.

Garet

R.F.Bennett

No worries about me buyin' any plans for awhile.  ;D  :'(  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

I've just discovered that a book I own (a gift from my brother, who has been reading the forum recently -- thank you!) contains 1:1200 scale drawings of HMHS Britannic (1914).

dave_t

1:1200, now that's a more manageable scale for a group build!

I just checked out a library book, "Ghost liners : exploring the world's greatest lost ships" with a section about the sinking of the hospital ship Britannic.

Oceaneer99

QuoteDave T. wrote: 1:1200, now that's a more manageable scale for a group build!

Dear Dave,

The box of portholes that you made for the 1:1200 international build arrived yesterday, but appeared to be empty.  Of course, I sneezed as I was opening the box.  Could you check and see if they might have drifted off of your workbench when you were packaging them?

;)

dave_t

Oh sure, blame it on the sub-contractor :'(   The shipper is at fault on this one.

lastvautour

I look forward to making a 1/1200 ships captain and his corn cob pipe. Could I borrow a pair of eyes for this project?

Income tax rebate came in yesterday, so I will be shopping for hull materiel shortly. Let's see 1/1200 would be approx 8.82874 inches. A six foot captain would be .06 inches or 1.5mm. Either way it might be hard to put a beard on the old fellow. At 1/220 it is 48.12 inches long.

scottzepher

Quote from: lastvautour on March 25, 2009, 06:39:41 PM
I look forward to making a 1/1200 ships captain and his corn cob pipe. Could I borrow a pair of eyes for this project?

Income tax rebate came in yesterday, so I will be shopping for hull materiel shortly. Let's see 1/1200 would be approx 8.82874 inches. A six foot captain would be .06 inches or 1.5mm. Either way it might be hard to put a beard on the old fellow. At 1/220 it is 48.12 inches long.

The merest touch of glue, a pinch of talcum, and at that scale no one will be the wiser 8}
Sounds like this is underway, has anyone called dibs on the lifeboats yet? 

Tom

R.F.Bennett

They're yours if you want em' Tom  :P
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

I've been reading a little about the Britannic in this book I picked up. Originally, it was to be named "Gigantic". It sank in one hour, something like half the time it took Titanic to go down, and yet most of those on board survived including the captain who "stepped off" the bridge as it went under. I'm not sure if he had a beard though, no photos of him.