• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flying Boat Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, January 17, 2008, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

My daughter insisted that it couldn't have a 12-inch wingspan (1/144) scale.  Look at the towel behind it, she said.  I guess she was correct after all.  You made a nice looking model.  I found some patent drawings for an early Loening flying boat, but they are for a monoplane, and the closest looking ones I could find that were actually built were biplanes.  I'm also toying with the idea of making one of those jet flying boats, either the big Martins or one of those Sea Dart fighters.  But I looked at my workbench and found 8 models in process, so perhaps I should finish up some of those first!

Garet

davetunison

Garet, I've been going through 1920s "Jane's All the World's Aircraft" at the library lately and remember seeing a Loening "Air Yacht". It was a small monoplane with a huge engine and pusher prop. Do you have the link to the patent?

cliff strachan

O.K., Flyingboats have always interested me. Therefore I hope to join too. But as usual I'll be way behind, at least as far as painting is concerned.

I'm planning to contribute a Curtiss - Canadian Vickers HS-3L in 1/72 scale. I'll post the plans and later a few photos of the one that our local aviation museum finished rebuilding - only completed a couple of years ago after a long and laborious effort.

Cliff

Oceaneer99

The Loening Flying Boat patent is #1394630.  Here is a link to the Google patent page:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=vgtcAAAAEBAJ&dq=1394630

Oceaneer99

I found the following flying boat plans in Paul Matt Scale Airplane Drawings, Volumes 1 and 2, which I own:

Consolidated PBY-2
Consolidated PBY-5
Curtiss F Boat
Curtiss MF-6-K Seagull
Grumman G-44A Widgeon
Grumman J2F-5 Duck
Republic RC-3 Seabee
Sikorsky S-39B

I'd been scanning some 1940s Model Airplane News that a friend let me borrow, and they kept mentioning the Seabee.  I went looking for drawings and found a mention that they were in these books, so I checked my copies, and there it was.

Garet

lastvautour

Even in 1/350, the clipper look big.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-622
I will produce and apply the decals before months end to pose with Garet's PT boat. An additional photo can be found in the cook-up album.

cliff strachan

Got a change. My flying boat's going to be a Vickers Vedette -`1927 vintage. Been visiting the Western Canada Aviation Museum to take photos - an absolute necessity in this case. They've rebuilt one that they have on display. I plan to do it in 1/72 scale and will post the three views and photos shortly. One obvious difficulty will be doing the engine as it doesn't have a cowling. May affect my plans but we'll see what we can do.

Cliff.

Kenny Horne

Hey Guys,

I'm in, though I'll only be persuing a slim version, ala "Garet Scale."  My subject will be the Shorts Sunderland mostly 'cause of the pretty wartime paint job.  I have cut out the top view, the easy part, and have the side views, engines, and floats to go. 

I remember reading somewhere of the attitude that went along with flying boats.  They were always considered to be more as a boat that could fly than a 'plane that could float.  The ameneites were very Cunard-esque, and the traditions were more naval than aviation.  It all seems like something out of a very different time, not merely 70-50 years ago.

Kenny

ps,

Thank you Lou so much for shifting over my photos.  I've just found little things difficult lately.  I truly appreciate your friendship,

lastvautour

The attached photo has orange wing panels instead of the required yellow. New panels are in production.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-626
Carving the pieces and rough sanding took no more than two hours not counting drying time. Sanding, sealing and painting accounts for another three hours. Decals(some done twice) manufacture and application approximately another two hours(not counting drying times). I may attempt a few more 1/350 flying boats from the larger ones out there.

Oceaneer99

FYI, I moved the discussion of Future to the Paint and Finish section.  I think I'll do a more seamless job of it next time.  Still learning....

Garet

Kenny Horne

Well, I've built my boat, though as a Garet Scale caricature it was a pretty quick build  :)

I think I've decided on the early Dark Slate Grey (green) and Dark Sea Grey over Sky.  Now I've just gotta stir up the courage to get on with it.  Later gang,

Kenny

lastvautour

That Sutherland will look good. The temperate sea scheme is also a favorite of mine.

lastvautour

Relative sizis shown in this top shot. My attempts to cover the orange with yellow decals did not work out so good. Regardless, one can always say it is near sunset and the sky is reflecting those red hues.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-652

Sitting in the water, the Enterprise would have towered over the Clipper. I would never have realised the relative size otherwise.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-653

Kenny Horne

Man I love that shot!

The scale relitivity is amazing.  To me I can't believe how big the clipper is when sitting next to the carrier.  All things considered, like that 35 years earlier the earliest flying contraptions were still arguing the value of wing warping as a control device, that  Clipper is amazing.  Cool models Lou.

Kenny