• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Dewoitine D 501 commenced 1 June 2021 Completed 20 July 2021

Started by Boomerang, June 08, 2021, 04:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Basic shaping has been started. Tailplane is Basswood . Undercarriage - wheels/spats 3/32 basswood core with 1/16 balsa outer. Struts - Bamboo skewers paired down and shaped .

Fuselage and wing are hard balsa.

Pictures to follow when further advanced

lastvautour

I frequently use bamboo skewer but running them over my hand planer. I find they are stronger and more flexible than pine or basswood.

Lou

Boomerang

I have a hand planer but decided to pare them down with a hobby knife, file and sand paper. Thought I might run out of bandaids.

Progress so far.

Undercarriage just needs some tweaking. Tail skid , propeller , guns and windscreen yet to be done. I'll fill the cockpit with a carved pilot.

Decals sorted but not yet printed.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Decals printed. Need to rework the main U/c legs. Add radiator slats. Pilot sourced from spare bits. Bit of quality control.

Gordon

Boomerang

Undercarriage modified. Coat of silver applied to see where the blemishes are. Tail skid dry fitted.

Need to re score the control surface lines. The exhaust stubs were of a flat section and I am experimenting with some garden tie insulation squashed flat with a coat of super glue.
seems to work.

Progress on this and the Meteor may slow down a bit as there is some bathroom renovation about to start which will encroach on my work area.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Boomerang

There are some blisters on the forward fuselage that have been done with a mixture of polyfilla , PVA and a bit of red acrylic paint ( so I can see what its doing) . Manufactured some small diameter tube from paper, PVA and when dry given a coat of dope. This is for two inlets at the front behind the propeller. Looking at ways to make the Venturi which sits forward of the cockpit on the port side. Cleaned up the fuel tank which sits behind the radiator .

Plodding onwards.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Starting to finish this off.

A bit of a way to go yet.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Boomerang

Bit more work required on Rudder decals and needed to redo side decals.

Shouldn't be too long now

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Finished .

There are some errors and omissions . Had to go over the decals with paint .

Any way I've told my son to make room in his display cabinet.

It has the same markings as his electric RC one.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour