• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Farman F250

Started by Balsabasher, November 03, 2013, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Time to carve the big wing on the Farman F250,the distinctive aerofoil was first marked out where the centre of pressure finishes then a line  marked the full length of the wingspan,another line denoted where the wings section flattens out and then onto the carving.

If ever there was a boxy aeroplane then this is the one,it looks as if the designers just wanted to use as little curved lines as possible and get on with the building ! Farman designs were quite distinctive beasts at the best of times and this one is no exception,its certainly belt and braces.

Barry.

Balsabasher

The wheel legs are very substantial as are the wheels,everything on this aeroplane is belt and braces,fairings were fashioned and angled  then glued into place,main undercarriage legs were made from brass tube sunk into the wings then joined to the fairings,finally the wheels were fitted onto the pre bent axles.

Barry.

lastvautour

Everything you do is wonderful and this Farman is of the same quality. You have how many models on the go right now?

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I have 10 models currently coming together,I find that way then I can do a bit on one,let the glue dry and onto the next then do some sanding,looks like a lot of final finishing so these may be shelved until its more suitable to dope and paint,I want to finish the Pawnee to save holding up the other entries so may finish it in enamel or even acrylic hand painted.
Barry.

lastvautour

I only have 6 currently being worked on. I feel so under employed compared to you.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I do not think our aircraft factories will ever be short of work with the projects we want to make.
Barry.

High Plains

Quote from: Balsabasher on November 17, 2013, 10:01:06 PM
Time to carve the big wing on the Farman F250,the distinctive aerofoil was first marked out where the centre of pressure finishes then a line  marked the full length of the wingspan,another line denoted where the wings section flattens out and then onto the carving.
Very nice work  Barry. How did you figure out the shape of the aerofoil?

Jeremy

Balsabasher

Jeremy its a typical early French aerofoil shape with the tip being almost flat section going either way mid aerofoil,this progresses towards a more conventional wing section towards the root,basically Clark-Y modified a bit flatter,I worked it out from that one actual photograph,at least it captures the character.

Barry.

High Plains

Quote from: Balsabasher on November 25, 2013, 11:38:37 PM
Jeremy its a typical early French aerofoil shape with the tip being almost flat section going either way mid aerofoil,this progresses towards a more conventional wing section towards the root,basically Clark-Y modified a bit flatter,I worked it out from that one actual photograph,at least it captures the character.

Barry.
It looks really good/ When I get around to building my own, may I be bug you for guidance?

Balsabasher

Sure Jeremy,it would be easy enough to sketch the shapes of the aerofoil to assist you with your very own model.
Got any more rare birds on your list of 'Want to build' for the future ? it was fun and a challenge in doing this one with added inspiration for others who may wish to build one.
Barry.

High Plains

Quote from: Balsabasher on November 26, 2013, 11:49:07 AMGot any more rare birds on your list of 'Want to build' for the future ? it was fun and a challenge in doing this one with added inspiration for others who may wish to build one.
Well, I do have a list...

• Fokker F.II
  • Fokker Universal
  • Fokker T2
  • Farman F.190
  • Farman F.60
  • Farman F.170 Jabiru
  • Boeing 40
  • Wright-VinFiz
  • Handley Page W.8b i
  • Vickers Vimy
  • Mitsubishi Ki-57
  • Junkers F.13
  • Junkers G 24
  • Junkers G 31
  • Junkers Ju86Z
  • Tupolev ANT-14 Pravda
  • Plage & Laskiewicz Lubin R-XVIb

I'm sure there are more...but first, I have a DC-3 to finish :)

Balsabasher

I will take a look at some of these as potential solid models,I once built the Kanalin bomber with its eliptical wings,it was mounted on a pole above my workshop and one evening the winds lifted it straight upwards and it was never seen again ? someone would have a Kanalin bomber in their garden ! see http://www.hoax-slayer.com/russian-K7-heavy-bomber.shtml for this impressive piece of aviation history.

Barry.