• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Joe's Strombecker B-24 Restoration

Started by R.F.Bennett, September 08, 2009, 04:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

Hi, All,

I just "discovered" this site and love it.  My youth--spent and misspent--was in the 40's and 50's.  Hence, Strombecker was a part of growing up.  Lately, I re-discovered that fine old brand and began looking for models to restore.  Attached are a couple of photos of the Strombecker B-24J that I restored recently.  

It consists of two built models that I found and took apart so I could use the best pieces.  I reproduced the decals from an old sheet that I bought.  All-in-all, I found it a rewarding project and am now working on three more Strombecker models:  2 P-61 Blackwidows and an F-80.  

Thanks for sharing your memories with me and letting me share mine with you.

"Joe"

"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Quotes;

Joe, when did you restore the B-24. If it was this year, it qualifies for our "Model of the year Contest".

Lou.

It's great to see these old kits brought back to life. Do they need a lot of filler and primer to get that smooth finish?

Dave T.

Hi, again,

Yes, I just finished the B-24J, but I hardly think it qualifies for an award:  based on what I have seen on this site, it is far from the best.

In regard to the question about the wood filler and primer, the answer is an emphatic, "Yes!".  I have not taken too many pictures of my models in progress because I did not think anyone else would be interested.  I guess I need to re-think that.  I needed to use wood filler in the places where the glue did not come away that easily.  Much of that was around the engine nacelles.  I also used three coats of sanding sealer and two coats of primer.  The Model Master acrylic silver was applied with my Testors Aztek airbrush.

Joe,

Joe, what type of Aztec airbrush are you using?

Cliff
"The Dude Abides"

Joe

Hi,

I am afraid that I cannot id the airbrush for you.  I purchased it years ago at a vintage car swap meet and the wooden box only indicates "Aztec".  If I remember correctly, I paid $3 for it and all it needed was a good cleaning.  At the time I used it for restoring vintage car parts.  It works quite well.

Joe

cliff strachan