• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Strombecker WW2 Douglas A-20 Havoc identification model

Started by Mark Braunlich, June 14, 2023, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Another 1/72 Strombecker identification kit model to restore, a Douglas A-20 Havoc.

Mark Braunlich

This is the airplane I want to restore the model as.  Appears to have two shades of green as camouflage.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Mark,

Looking forward to your restoration.

Cheers

Gordon

Mark Braunlich

A couple of photos to bring you up to date.   First photo shows disassembly in process.  All the components received attention with regard to refining the shapes.  The nacelles had wood added to the rear top faces to make a major correction in the shape there.  The model is going back together with filler creating fillets where there were none.  All of the components are from the original Strombecker kit model but much refined.  Correct decals have been sourced from an old USAirfix kit.  I'm enjoying this restoration very much.

Mark Braunlich

A post-war Wards catalog cut showing the old wartime 1/72 Strombecker identification kits still available.  The A-20 Havoc kit sold for 46 cents!  The B-17E, a Bell P-39 and I think a Curtiss SBC Helldiver were also made but are not shown here.  With the Cruver molded one-piece plastic identification models also cheaply available by the thousands, it must have been a tough sell to move these Strombecker kits.

Boomerang

lastvautour

Excellent results Mark. I had a chance to secure some of those plastic ID models when I was young and foolish. Since I turned them down, they went to the garbage bin.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

lastvautour

Dave T

Strombecker models do survive the ravages of time, in part due to the very durable Western Pine from which the kits were made.

Mark Braunlich

Update photo show the model in primer.  Underside has since been painted Neutral Gray.

lastvautour

You did a magnificent refurbishment. Please post to Solid Wood Models on Facebook.

lou