• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Motor Torbedo Boat - Patrol Torpedo Boat

Started by lastvautour, June 15, 2012, 01:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The MTB is finished except for a few decals I need to print like the Ensign and waiting for the varnish to dry on the stand. I decided to do a full hull model and added a few modifications to the EeZebilt Terrier.
Added Twin Screws and Rudders
Upgrade to the mid-ship deck gun
Upgrade to depth charge dispensers
Added four additional depth charges
Enlarged and doubled main air vents to handle the twin diesel
Added four exhaust port rear
Additional personnel armour around flying bridge
Enlarged viewing ports in control room
Added "Crew's Mess" exhaust stack
Added "Crew's Mess" skylight
Added Search light
Added on deck storage racks with two torpedoes.

Photos to follow next post.

Lou

lastvautour

Theses are the original Terrier photos from the EeZebilt site.

Additonal pictures can be found at the site http://eezebilt.tk/Terrier.html

My modifications are as show in the photos.

lastvautour

Following the major modifications to the Terrier, it was elected to rename the MTB in honour of Admiral (Hon.) Barry Clay "Balsabasher". His enthusiasm and workmanship with solid model building has made him an inspiration to all who frequent SMM. HMS BARRY CLAY was launched 28 June 2012 from Lou's shipyard and is now proudly displayed in my collection. The Ship's Crest has the Torch of Inspiration displayed on a flowing sea and carries his name in red
Thank you Barry.

Lou

lastvautour

cliff strachan

Lou, a wonderful model. A wonderful dedication. I wish I could have attended the launch at Lou's shipyard and the dedication ceremonies. Masterful work.
Cliff

buccfan

Fantastic model Lou, I like all the extras, I think the Terrier has turned into a Rottweiler with the extra armaments!. A very fitting tribute to Barry as well. Well done. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you both. Making this project was truly inspired by researching  Barry's found treasure.

Lou

Lotus-14

Quote from: Mark Braunlich on June 16, 2012, 01:18:43 AM
One of the great solid boat kits is the Varney 1:64 scale  Elco PT boat which came out near the end of WW2.  I have one, built by my father and in need of a lot of restoration work.  Here's article about another one that got the restoration treatment:  http://www.ptboatworld.com/PDF/Vintage1944VarneyKit.pdf   

Maybe I tackle the restoration of Dad's boat when I get some other projects out of the way.  :D

The Varney kit was eventually to become the Lindberg PT. It was converted to plastic, actually "multi media" with a vacuum formed hull and a card paper deck, with plastic super structure. From there the hull became an injection molded piece, and the deck was also molded from plastic.
Varney did the same thing with the Fleet Submarine.
I built both the Varney and Lindberg versions.

lastvautour