• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Kawanishi K-2 racer

Started by K_mars, July 22, 2011, 03:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

I scraped off paint of the propeller.

kenji.

K_mars

The tires are made from plastic jacket of electrical cable.
It is a method of the easy making.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Excellent idea Kenji,another method that I use is to buy those cheap boxes of rubber seals in auto shops,in them comes a variety of rubber rings suitable for placing onto wooden rims,making these old wheels is a real art in itself.
Your tutorial is fascinating and very useful,as model builders we source things that others would throw away.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

Thank you.

The woods is bonded to both sides of the brass line and the strut is made. It fixes with the tape until the bonding material hardens.

kenji.

lastvautour

Nice work. What kind of glue do you use for this type of structure?

Lou

K_mars

Lou,

Thank you.

It is a bonding material of the epoxy system.
I occasionally use Araldite.
An upper thing is a type that stiffens in five minutes.

kenji.

Balsabasher

That is another good tip  Kenji,I had not realised that Araldite was such an international product,it originated just after WW2 as a resin made for the aircraft industry called redux bonding,the first aircraft to use it was the de havilland Dove aircraft whereby the stringers and formers were both glued and partially rivetted to the skinning,its commercial use is now well known and the quality of bond is excellent,the biggest drawback is the shel life which by comparison with other adhesives is quite short,the quick drying version that you mention is a remarkable product.
Barry.

lastvautour

Unfortunately it is not available in North America.

Lou

K_mars

Lou,

"Permatex" is the same bonding material.

kenji.

lastvautour

K_mars

Barry,

The epoxy bonding material is used to manufacture "Shinkansen" of Japan.

I built the strut with the sandpaper and the knife.

kenji.

Balsabasher

This is a good strong method of construction Kenji,it can be used on almost any strut application including interplane struts,cabane struts and undercarriages,I like it.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

This method is more strong than the use only of the wood.

I made the wheel from accumulating three Plastic boards. The diameter of the board of the second piece is a little small. This becomes a dent where the tire fits in.

Tires are temporarily attached.

kenji.

Peter

Thanks Kenji very interesting. I am really enjoying learning all your techniques.

Peter

Balsabasher

Kenji all of your techniques are so functional and practical,this is another idea for my next model,like Peter I am enjoying your approach to solid modelling.
Barry.