• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Don't spare the glue on the main joints. You can wipe it off later. Here we prepare to attach the wing. Coat all surfaces that will be in contact with each other rather than just one side. Let sit overnight. Once dry, insert the fuselage plug and insert a smaller piece to fill the gap. Since we used the fretsaw, the gap is bigger than usual when I use a razor saw. Insert the parts with lots of glue. I made the error of using a piece that the grain runs 90 degrees to the fuselage. Not a good idea so if you can cut an end piece to fit the gap, do so.

Lou

lastvautour

I somehow forgot to take photos of the filler sanding. I fold a piece of medium sandpaper and carefully sand the filler until the nacelle and the wing make a smooth connection. The filler is more to fill the gaps rather than fair in the parts at this point. Sand the bottom of the fuselage where the plugs meet the fuselage using the sanding block and medium grit paper.

Lou

lastvautour

Wing fillets smooth the transition between the fuselage and the wing reducing drag enabling the aircraft to gain greater speed. In the case with the Hampden, it needed all the help it could get.
Using the template draw the fillet shape onto 1mm thick wood. Cut out the filet as shown and glue in place as per the photo.

Lou
PS My fillets have never been my strong point so anyone wanting to add their two cents, feel free.

lastvautour

Once the fillets blanks have been dry for at least a day, carefully cut out the shape as shown. Even having been dry for a day, the gluing surface is minimal and can easily be broken. Note the grain of the wood runs front to rear so when shaping cut from the outside in. Do a light sanding with a curved piece of sandpaper to flare the parts into the wing. Final sanding will come after using the filler in the next post.

Lou

lastvautour

I known it looks like peanut butter but I assure you it is Lepage wood filler. Don't be stingy. Using light pressure, run your finger down keeping contact with the wing and fuselage. Run it down just the once and let dry completely. Never mind the slight imperfections. They will be corrected later.

Lou

lastvautour

Once dried, wrap sandpaper around a dowel or paint brush handle and sand the contour of the fillet as shown. This is delicate work as you do not want to dig into the fuselage side. The trailing edge of the filet is similar in that it must be round concave using rolled sandpaper and a gentle approach.

Lou

lastvautour

Forgot to tell you to apply putty to the bottom areas as well. and then sand flat. Once all is sanded you will find imperfections so just apply a small amount of putty to fill the dents or fair in the edges.
Once dry sand again. You may have to do this several times until you are satisfied with the results.
Lou

lastvautour

After this we will move on to the small details.

Lou

Balsabasher

Looks really good Lou,the distinctive dihedral is spot on.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thanks Barry. Most would either start at the fuselage or at the engines. Somebody had to be different.

lastvautour

Details make the model at time. The upper intakes are made from 2mm X 2mm X 8mm stock. I just cut down an existing piece of spare wood down to the desired measurement with my trusty chisel and bench hook. Cut them down to the 8mm length and then slanted the rear profile. Sanding takes place once glu has dried completely. Make sure they are located properly at approx. 15 degrees off center and 1cm from the front of the engine cowling.

Lou

lastvautour

Same method as the upper scoop but a slight difference in size. Cut out and glue. Once glued sand lightly to get rounded edges and smooth curves.

Lou

Balsabasher

I always say the humps and bumps make a particular model and bring it alive,the Hampden is no exception.

Barry.

lastvautour

The exhaust pipes vary from engines to nationality and mks. I made some generic pipes for mine as it fits the model I wish to make. Here are basic instructions on making them. I started with 3 mm as a given thickness and found that it is too much so on the second set I used 2mm. .

Lou

lastvautour

The two Xs are flat surfaces that will be glues to the bottom of the engine cowl. Sand the part to a circular pipe and glue in place once painted copper and the aircraft paint scheme is fully dried. I just tacked mine with a bit of super glue for demo purposes. I took them off before placing the Hampden in the paint shop for its first coat of primer.

Lou