• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

lastvautour

Peter

Wow Lou very inspirational. I might have to call in sick to work and catch up!

Peter

Balsabasher

Looks really good Lou,you have captured the uniqueness of the Hampden 'Fling Suitcase' as it was nicknamed for obvious reasons very well indeed.
Barry.

cliff strachan

A very nice model, Lou. As during the war, I think it was Quaker Corn Flakes or the manufacturer of a particular Corn Syrup, when they used to have a coloured box sized sketch of one of the allied bombers and the Handley Page was featured frequently. Other aircraft were the
Short Sterling and the Hudson Bomber that I remember. I used to link them all together and then place them on my bedroom wall. But I guess that I really didn't think that I would ever see such a fine reproduction of that particular bomber again.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Thank you all. Your positive comments are appreciated.

Lou

Balsabasher

Cliff one of those boxes appeared on EBay a while back,it realised a lot of money and purchased by a cereal box collector,how nostalgic and just think of the chances of one surviving ?
Barry.

cliff strachan

Barry, thanks for the information concerning the current availability, of all things, of a cereal box.? What next? Will collectors never stop at anything? Why not a Solid Scale model of an aircraft! Surely it should be worth more! Possibly another indication of too many people with nothing to do. But it is nostalgic. And while I shudder to think of just how much it went for or even its chances of survival, I still believe that Sold Scale inherently is of a greater value.

Cliff.

Peter

I agree Cliff a 100%, unfortunately collectors will only collect what is popular or extremely obscure. I think solids fall somewhere in the middle.

Peter

cliff strachan

Peter, if Solids only fall somewhere in between I guess we're lucky. But considering the amazing work that's been done by members of this Group - let alone the wonderful tutorials by Lou and Barry - surely some models are beyond any financial return. Then there's the historical content that's embodied. Various models do not even have a demand great enough to warrent the commercialization of a competitor.
Cliff.

Peter

Cliff, I agree with what you are saying. But I think the masses have know ideas about solid models or the history of them. I was talking to a young security guard at work, he builds 1/35th scale armoured vehicles. I showed him SSM on my cell phone and he was amazed but said there was know way he could do that, he's not a carver. I think model builders think we are wood carvers and wood carvers think we are model builders if that makes sense. I think it all comes down to lack of education. Lou and Barry should write a book!

Peter

cliff strachan

Peter, I believe that there is a lot to be said about whether or not we are carvers. But personally I am NOT a carver - at least in the traditional sense of the word. In the old days we were essentially dedicated to the idea: Top View; Side View; and Front View - or rounding it off. All were kits. And every aircraft had a face that had to be attained. If anyone can do this then he/she is a Solid Scale devotee.
Cliff.

lastvautour

I use white glue in most cases.
Photo 1/2/3/4
Place the nacelle on the wing making sure the nacelle is parallel to the cord line. Check the next photo (7) to align the center of the nacelle with the center of the leading edge. If possible use a clamp to hold in place or put a weight on it.

Photo 5/6/7
Once the upper nacelle is dry, place the bottom nacelle and check alignment and let dry.

Lou

lastvautour

Now this is your choice of filler/putty to use. I personally like Lepage wood filler but have used Tamiya putty and plastic wood. Each has its place, but I use Lapage filler exclusively now a days. I apply it with a toothpick and don't try to smooth anything out at this point. It sands really easy and does not shrink over time.

Lou

lastvautour

The wheels for the Hampden are easy to make. You have a choice of using a dowel if you have it or make your own as per the photos. Note that the wood grain runs side to side of the wheel like a dowel would.
The tail wheel is done in a similar fashion. You can cut it out rough and sand it once glued in place. Check the plan for placement. Before the glue sets completely, it is not a bad idea to check the alignment. I had to break a main wheel joint and re-attach to the proper place.

Lou