• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 scale Century Series Jets - F-101B..................(Completed 15 Mar 2015)

Started by lastvautour, January 17, 2015, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Ground work has been laid out. The wigs will be carved separately as per Cliff's method of doing his Voodoo. Drawings are scaled, printed and glued onto the blocks. Carving will begin later next week.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Left and right templates glued to block side and carved in side profile. Last  photo shows cuts made to vertical template drawn on the block. Cuts not finalized to assist in carving side profile as close to template as possible.

Lou

lastvautour

Removal of excess materiel prior to contour carving. I used chisels to do this task. These vertical and horizontal cuts are relatively easy. Cutting out the canopy must be done with care as the cut lines are not aligned with the wood grain. Take a little at a time and this should turn out OK.

Lou

lastvautour

A Voodoo starts to emerge from the blocks. This is one of the good stages where dreams of the perfect model is still alive.

Lou

lastvautour

This Cliff's photo from the Century Series group build. The sole difference is Cliff elected to carve the vertical tail separately.

Lou

lastvautour

Contour carving has begun.

Lou

lastvautour

Canopy and tail are coming along.

Lou

lastvautour

Oops. I removed too much wood on the starboard wing so it was either make another one or put in a plug and recarve that section. I chose the later. The plug is glued and clamped.

Lou

lastvautour

This is how a properly carved wing should look like. The dowel will connect the wings to provide alignment and some extra security.

Lou

lastvautour

The stab is carved and temporarily in place for fitment. The tip of the tail is ready to receive the fin cap where the navigation light goes.

Lou

lastvautour

Shaping and rough sanding major components. The afterburners on the actual aircraft are flat on the inside against the aircraft keel hence if they are fully round they will appear too far apart.

Lou

lastvautour

The current engines appear too small and they are. I require a 9/16 dowel, but the closest on hand is 1/2 inch.

Lou

lastvautour

Experimentation with intakes using a rotary tool and a cone shaped stone. Cliff, how did you carve yours out?

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, I believe that I just dug in so to speak. Used a sharp x-acto blade. I know I didn't use any rotary tool - though I've  got a set now.
Cliff.