• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Fairchild Boxcar Started 13 Apr 2023 Completed 25 May 2023

Started by lastvautour, April 13, 2023, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A new model is on the bench. This will be an early version of a 1/144 scale RCAF Flying Boxcar.

Lou

lastvautour

Gearup

My mom worked for DND for a short time and got me an official photo of the C-114 in flight. I always thought it was such a neat looking airplane. Are you doing the lightening paint scheme?

Farser

lastvautour

Yes, it will have the lightning flash but the all aluminum finish. I actually saw an RCAF Boxcar in 1967-68 time frame.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit of work on the Boxcar this morning.

Lou

lastvautour

The wing is shaped and sanded. I place a tutorial on Facebook outlining my procedure for carving wings.

Lou

Gearup

I guess it is an inverted gull wing. Nicely shaped.
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you. I have been coaching several new builders on Facebook but have yet to get them to sign up and contribute to SMM. I signed up two, but alas they have been rather absent for our small group.

Lou

lastvautour

Some more progress on my Boxcar. All that remains to carve are the nose gear and struts on the main gear.

Lou

lastvautour

Some minor progress with my Boxcar.

Lou

lastvautour

Boxcar is sanded and has just a few minor issues before priming.

Lou

lastvautour

Boomerang

lastvautour

It is bigger than many 1/72 models. I am holding the wing span at 12", +- 1" as I am once again running out of shelf space.

Lou

lastvautour

The red panels are applied and masked. The black basecoat has been sprayed and will be followed with the metallic finish shortly. The decals have been printed. Note, doing fuselage flash is problematic, so extras have been added to the decal sheet.

Lou