• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Lockheed Neptune Started 7 Mar 2023 Completed 6 Apr 2023

Started by lastvautour, March 07, 2023, 08:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The Neptune has been in the wings for quite a while. I finally found a few minutes to select the wood and rough cut some parts.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

The radar radome, canopy, wings, and engine nacelles are shaped and the wing and stab are notched to the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage and wing subassemblies are coming along.

Lou

lastvautour

I have a few minor quality control issues prior to the final assembly.

Lou

lastvautour

The Neptune is sanded, and ready for the paint booth. First attempt at doing propellers are less than satisfactory, hence new ones are in the works.

Lou

lastvautour

Primed and ready for paint. Next will be fashioning the undercarriage. Decals have been received. I will be using the props held by the clothespins.

Lou

Gearup

Another great 1:44 model. Was it only the American versions with the secondary jets?
Fraser

lastvautour

All Neptunes eventually had the jets engines retrofitted. My 1/72 plastic kit has the same configuration.

Lou

lastvautour

My Neptune is out of the paint shop. There is a small issue under the tailplane that I may just ignore. Otherwise, things went well.

Lou

Boomerang

A nice sized model . Looks great in the blue.

A Neptune has been on my list for a while.

Many years ago as an Air Cadet I had two Neptune's to myself . With a pile of cloths and a can of something ( which today would probably be banned) and was told to clean all windows. In through the nose hatch and out the back. Great Days.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I don't have any Neptune experience as they were gone from the RCAF when I joined. I was reluctant to attempt one, and now find it was a fairly easy build if it is broken down into subparts.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Rollout occurred 8 Apr 2023. Decals are CanMilAir and are excellent as usual. Note there was no need for a tail support. That was a very pleasant surprise. Undercarriage wheels are dowels and the struts are bamboo sticks.

Lou

Gearup