• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th 1/72 Lockheed Model 10 Electra Started 2/2/23 - Cancelled 18/3/23

Started by lastvautour, February 02, 2023, 12:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A new twin-engine, twin fin from Lockheed in the form of a Model 10 Electra. Bigger than the Model 12 started earlier this month, the RCAF flew 12 of these during WWII. Blocks have been cut and the fuselage lamination is glued and clamped. This will be a slow-moving project.

Lou

lastvautour

A few hours this morning netted the following. Not the size difference between the Electra and Electra Junior.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Tail feathers are assembled and the wings are notched into the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

After many quality control touch-ups, my Electra if finally in the paint shop. Black is being used as a background for chrome aluminum coating.

Lou

lastvautour

Once completed, the Electra did not look right. A review of the drawings and comparison with other sources revealed some major flaws. I looked to see if I could correct the faults and found that impractical. Hence a new one is being fashioned from scratch.

Lou

Gearup

Hard decision? A good late friend always said of homebuilt aircraft "You always build at least two: one for the trash and one to fly in". Always made me feel better looking at some of my work. Looking forward to the next keeper :)

Fraser

lastvautour

I have previously made a civilian Model 10 and at that time, I did cut parts out for a second model. Look as I may, I could not find those parts.

Lou