• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/72 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior Started 25 Jan 23 - 18 Feb 23

Started by lastvautour, January 25, 2023, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Another model joins the assembly line. Ten Lockheed Electra Juniors served with the RCAF during the war and were sold off shortly there after.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along today with all major components shaped and mated to each other. Subassemblies are glued final sanding has begun.

Lou

Gearup

I must admit you are the master at strong joinery for your nacelle/wing assembly The carving of the nacells is really well done.
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

The filler has been applied and awaits curing prior to sanding.

Lou

lastvautour

First coat of primer has been applied. Next will be final sanding and some more primer. The aluminum finish requires a very smooth finish to look decent.

Lou

lastvautour

I decided to use black as a base for the metallic finish. This would be finished if I was doing an ID model.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Metallic silver finish was applied over the black and I think it helped out making a more realistic appearance.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 18 Feb 2023. Ten Electra Juniors served during WWII. My example has the colours of 12 Sqn and has Type C roundels in all six positions.

Lou

Boomerang

Another excellent result Lou.

The silver finish turned out really well.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Model Maker

Not only is silver hard to paint on. It shows any imperfections in the under laying surface. The paint work and wood finish look really great! It's surprising how a black undercoat seems to bring more depth to a silver or aluminum paint top coat

lastvautour

Thank you Ken. Plastic modellers often use black as a background for metallic finishes.

Lou